No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Advertising And Promotional Weights.  (Read 4632 times)

Offline Hourglass

• Members
Advertising And Promotional Weights.
« on: September 29, 2010, 05:15:06 PM »
Seeking more knowledge as to wheather these types of paperweights are collectable in the general scheme of things. I veiw these as interesting in their own right as they would have been commissioned by the individual or Company and I have started to pick up a few examples myself.  I have one with the 'logo and the name 'Thermomax', it is a Caithness weight which I have attempted to research and date. The Company is primarily a solar energy collector equipment manufacturer in Bognor. I have contacted the Company to see what I could find out about this weight but never got a reply.

This  weight, 'Barclays Technology Services', also Caithness, speaks for itself.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Advertising And Promotional Weights.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 05:34:43 PM »
In the general scheme of things, almost anything is collectable. But the categorisation of "collectable" within the "antiques and collectables" market might imply to some folk that "collectable" means "it's worth something in monetary terms".

Many paperweight collectors have examples of advertising and promotional weights as part of their overall collection. Some collectors focus on advertising and promotional weights. But there is very little in literature covering this category.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »
I do buy advertising weights, but not the more modern ones. I tend to concentrate on the very early 19th century ones, but also look for unusual ones up to c.1970. Surprising the amount of diversity there is, with respect to shape, size, decoration, etc.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:16:23 PM »
Caithness had a fair number of "Blanks" for that purpose, many with an oblique front facet for whatever design was wanted: I had made one (a "one off" ;)) for myself - obviously larger orders were also welcome. As a result the number of such weights will be close to endless. Some seem to have been designed especially for the commissioning company (I mean the weight itself) - the one for Harper Collins - with the base engraved, rather than a front facet - being a very nice example ... IMHO "collectable" even if you have no interest in Harper Collins whatsoever.

These editions do not show up in the Charlton book, nor in any sales brochures - for an obvious reason, they could not be bought from Caithness. Nevertheless we are trying to include a few nice examples in the online catalogue on Scotlandsglass. In other words - if you could let me have high resolution images of your Thermomax and Barclays weights (preferentially against uniform white background, and views from several angles), these would be most welcome.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 09:18:21 PM »
What types David? Here I come across loads of advertising weights that are a basic clear thick oval or square of glass both flat and convex surface with a printed paper or tinted colour picture print stuck under the bottom and several clear glass impressed types as well. The type I go for are either engraved more modern or with the 'ad' as an inclusion, I'm afraid that the others don't really float my boat.

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »
Caithness had a fair number of "Blanks" for that purpose, many with an oblique front facet for whatever design was wanted: I had made one (a "one off" ;)) for myself - obviously larger orders were also welcome. As a result the number of such weights will be close to endless. Some seem to have been designed especially for the commissioning company (I mean the weight itself) - the one for Harper Collins - with the base engraved, rather than a front facet - being a very nice example ... IMHO "collectable" even if you have no interest in Harper Collins whatsoever.

These editions do not show up in the Charlton book, nor in any sales brochures - for an obvious reason, they could not be bought from Caithness. Nevertheless we are trying to include a few nice examples in the online catalogue on Scotlandsglass. In other words - if you could let me have high resolution images of your Thermomax and Barclays weights (preferentially against uniform white background, and views from several angles), these would be most welcome.

Wuff.
I think our paths may have crossed before in the past, does the name Wolf mean anything to you? If so then I believe I sent you some images of the 'Thermomax' weight around 12 or so months ago but I will dig it out, it's about 50 weights deep but I'll find it. Perhaps you would in the meantime PM me your email address so that I can send you over the required images. By the way, have not got the Barclays one yet.

Edit.   Wuff, you are the man I'm thinking of as I have just checked your email address. Look in your pictures, you may still have the images.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 09:54:16 PM »
PM me your email address
In this Board, the Personal Message system is only enabled for use by Moderators to conatct members when needed. For general member contacts, use the email icon below the member's Id to the left of the window.
KevinH

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:13:08 PM »
What types David?

Any sort really: rectangular with printed decoration sometimes over-painted in white - bought one the other day in the original carton for the Wellington Tank Co. in Belfast -also circular, oval, with printed or acid-etched decoration. I don't think I have any with paper backing, but do have one with a thin metal backing that was probably printed onto. One the interesting parts is dating them: often by tracing the company back and its likely ranges of operation, the address, or by any telephone number mentioned (or not, which may mean it's very old).
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »
Wuff.
I think our paths may have crossed before in the past, does the name Wolf mean anything to you? If so then I believe I sent you some images of the 'Thermomax' weight around 12 or so months ago but I will dig it out, it's about 50 weights deep but I'll find it. Perhaps you would in the meantime PM me your email address so that I can send you over the required images. By the way, have not got the Barclays one yet.

Edit.   Wuff, you are the man I'm thinking of as I have just checked your email address. Look in your pictures, you may still have the images.

Hi Tim,

I knew I had heard about the Thermomax weight before - just couldn't find it - now I know why: I was looking for a Caithness weight - but this one was Selkirk - in a different folder ;-).
Sorry for that !
Of course, the images are still safely on my hard disk - but Selkirk has to wait until Caithness is finished.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »
Things are falling into place now Wuff.  ;) I thought that I recognised you through your replies and when I looked at your location, strange how things turn out!

Yes you're right, I've just dug out the Thermomax weight and it is a Selkirk, engraved on the base and also engraved with the year, 1991. It also still carries the gold label in the polished sunken base centre. I've taken some more pics of it just in case you could not find or retrieve those I sent to you. It's a nice weight, are you going to post a pic of it or me?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand