No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: how common small W/Fs 'Swan'?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
how common small W/Fs 'Swan'?
« on: September 29, 2010, 07:12:34 PM »
The larger one (8.5") I see not uncommonly, but oddly never yet seen one of the later examples which have the plinth type foot, and guess this must have been the most popular size, since todate they have all been the same size  -  until this small one (5.5").  Is this smallest version rare, or have I simply not been seeing them?   Also, only ever seem to see them in Sea Green  -  were there other colours?    thanks for looking.

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: how common small W/Fs 'Swan'?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:58:16 PM »
Most of the 'small' WF swans are the 6 inch ones.  At one time there were also smaller ones - 5 inch originally.  Yours is either a large 5 inch or a small 6 inch one!  ;D  They do vary slightly each side of the 'normal' heights.

As for the rarity of these small ones, yes the 5 inch ones are rare, but the 6 inch are not really rare - except in the rare colours.  I have examples of most of them, as I try to collect swan 'families' - one large, one or two medium and one or two small  ;)  ::) 

Here's a pic of my Sapphire family.

Leni

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »
thanks - in that case think I'll pretend mine is a slightly over-sized rare 5" example :) - but odd that I should only be seeing the sea green ones.    I don't normally keep them - usually pass them on to a charity shop or whatever  -  however, I will keep this small one.    I do have another swan (vastly different in shape/colour and size), the provenance of which was also suggested as a remote possibility of being a W/Fs frigger.   The link is here: 
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28105.msg152901.html#msg152901   -    and would very much appreciate your opinion please.     thanks. :)

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 10:04:33 AM »
Your other swan is interesting, but I don't think it's Whitefriars.  The construction of the head is totally different to the way in which WF swan heads were 'pulled'.  An ex-WF glassblower once described to me how they were made from one gather of glass, with just three pinches to form the head and beak, and I've watched a WF-style swan being made by Johnnie King, who used to make swans at WF and later for his own company, Kingsware.  The one in your previous post would appear to be made with several gathers of glass being applied to the initial bowl shape.  For example, it looks to me as if the head is a separate blob on the end of the neck and the beak is then applied to that.  Whitefriars swans were at some times made in different shapes, for example one made for Grattan was more bowl-shaped than the usual swans, but the way the neck and head were pulled was always the same, and never with extra gathers of glass. 

Hope this helps   :) 
Leni

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 11:07:51 AM »
thanks for your explanation of the swan construction - very interesting :).    Re the pink one - I'm fairly sure that Lustrousstone's original suggestion was not made based upon any recognizable similarities with the usual 'trade mark' swan  -  as you say, the construction of my suggested 'frigger' is not remotely the same.      Oddly, the person who made the pink one, went to a lot of trouble to grind and polish the concave pontil mark - a sign of quality that is not apparent on the standard W/Fs swans that I have seen so far (that's not to say that there aren't any).    The fact that the pink one appears to be quite old (unfortunately, the extensive base wear may not be so apparent in the pics.) is also intriguing and, I would suggest, indicates the possibility that it might even predate the standard W/Fs swans.       Quality circular concave pontils like this, make me think pre 1940, and as a matter of interest, the pink one 'dings' with a fairly long rich tone in a similar way to my W/Fs plates.      Is there a reference pic. available for the Grattan 'bowl' shaped example you mention - sorry, I have no knowledge of this.    thanks again.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »
W/Fs Swans are beautiful and one of the best buys you can make , just go to Emsworth and see the flotilla of Swans in the harbour and you will see what i mean and a nice Antique center there . :-X

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:50:04 PM »
thanks jp - not surprised 'lips sealed', surprised Anne did look up ;) - free advertising eh!!      never quite get my head round collecting animal thingies - seems a bit twee (but before anyone jumps on me, that is just my opinion :))   The Chichester area is a favourite of mine also, and I bet a hoard of swans look really great (but not as good as an antique centre ;))   somewhere near Buckler's Hard, I believe (no jokes please) - where they knocked up Nelsons tub, I think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand