No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: any id for trinket parts - possibly Cambridge Glass, USA?  (Read 7710 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: any id for trinket parts
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »
bit of a postscript to the 'unknown part set above  -  and picked up another almost complete set mid week (lacking I think a lid only to one of the twin pots).   Whilst the tray shape and the star outline are different - the pin tray is again present, and it is impressed with the same 'C' at the part set (sorry, it's not in a diamond  -  it's in a triangle) - so, think this should prove conclusively that both sets are States manufacture by Cambridge Glass Co. (1901 - 1957).      This most recent acquisition is slightly 'sun-purpled' - I'm seeing it everywhere now.   Question please........in the oval shaped pot there are two supports with cut outs to support what......anyone know.    The entire set is pressed - no grinding or cutting anywhere.
Hope of interest, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 07:41:58 PM »
Paul

could it be a soap dish avoiding greasy dampening?

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »
I would defer to your wisdom any day Pamela  -  but today is not the day  ;D  No, I would have thought not  -  these little crescent cut outs appear to be specifically for something 'pencil' shaped possibly  ::)   But I don't really know. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »
Paul, how unusual to find more of the same pattern when it's such a stranger to us.  The dish with the supports: like Pamela I thought of soap too but the indents have me puzzled. Are the cut outs both the same size? It's hard to tell from your picture.

If these are Cambridge I think one of our US members would know... let me tweak the title to catch their eyes.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: any id for trinket parts - possibly Cambridge Glass, USA?
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 08:14:19 PM »
http://countryjoescollectiblestuff.com/raz-01.html  Mod: Dead link - suggestion was the bowl was to hold a wet razor
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »
Ahhhh Pamela, I think you've sussed it!  :hiclp:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 09:09:23 PM »
thanks girls  -  I'm sure you're right.   And here's me thinking that real ladies never needed to shave :24:  Am I right in thinking that this particular accompaniment to the set is unusual, or was it a States thing only. :)

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 09:18:15 PM »
I think what you have are table pieces that someone used for the vanity. The scalloped bowl or nappy could hold butter or berries. In old catalogs trays were offered alone as "candy trays" and of course people could use them however they wanted. Vanity sets here were perfume bottles, and a dish sometimes on a matching tray.
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »
thanks for your valuable reply Janice.   What intrigued me was the fact that twice within a matter of weeks I had found what had seemed two identical trinket sets (or at least parts of) both of which included one of these small scalloped bowls or nappys - so of course being a bit dim I had rushed to the conclusion that the complete set was designed to deliberately have one.   However, as you suggest, probably not intentionally designed as such, and just an optional add on.   I really know nothing of these things, but was also intrigued by the fact that one of these sets has something I had not previously seen i.e. the lidded container believed to be for the 'lady's razor'.  thanks again.   I couldnt purposfully collect these things - the footprint is way too big for me - which bit of a shame, as in my travels I see some really beautiful part sets and trays that are works of art.  thanks again.  :)

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »
Does anyone know which Cambridge Glass Co. USA pattern the clear sets may be? I have been searching but can't seem to pin it down.
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand