No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Murano glass?  (Read 4926 times)

Offline insaneprofessor

• Members
Is this Murano glass?
« on: December 20, 2005, 01:24:15 PM »
I've just collected lots of glass stuff I liked over  the years, I don't really know very much about it

I'm wondering if this piece (an ashtray?) is Murano and if so from which decade

also, while it has no chips or cracks, it has numerous small scratches on it and has obviously been well used.  Does this mean I shouldn't really bother auctioning it?

I've got friends who'd like it as a present and if it's not really worth anything I'll give it away

thanks again

Louise :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Is this Murano glass?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 03:24:22 PM »
It looks like Murano, doesn' t it - but I think this is actually Bohemian, made at Chrbska and sold under the Bohemia label some time during eighties. A very similar vessel in clear, green and brown designed by L. Palecek in '76 was produced at Skrdlovice - I think designs wandered around the various factories.

Offline insaneprofessor

• Members
Is this Murano glass?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 11:22:44 AM »
Thank Ivo

Not what I wanted to hear but I appreciate your help

one last picture, just in case the rubbish pictures earlier were misleading (just  me being in denial :roll:  :D  )

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Is this Murano glass?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 11:45:19 AM »
Quote from: "insaneprofessor"

Not what I wanted to hear...

:?:  :?:  :?:  Murano goooood - Bohemian baaaaad  :?:  :?:  :?:

Offline insaneprofessor

• Members
Is this Murano glass?
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 12:30:56 PM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
Quote from: "insaneprofessor"

Not what I wanted to hear...

:?:  :?:  :?:  Murano goooood - Bohemian baaaaad  :?:  :?:  :?:

I thought so
Is it not so?
I really honestly know very little about glass, I've just picked up things I liked here and there and I need to buy a film camera so I'm selling years of accumulated stuff
I thought that Murano was 'better' than Bohemian  
from your post I suppose that this isn't the case

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Is this Murano glass?
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 01:57:58 PM »
I declare the glass pecking order discussion *open*
 :D

Offline Leni

• Members
Is this Murano glass?
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 04:12:44 PM »
I guess if you collect Murano glass and you buy a piece which turns out to be Bohemian you'll be disappointed.

Likewise, if you collect Bohemian and the piece turns out to be Murano ......

It's not so much a question of 'better' or 'worse', more of expectations, IMHO.
Leni

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Is this Murano glass?
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 05:10:58 PM »
Louise said:
I've got friends who'd like it as a present and if it's not really worth anything I'll give it away

That made me chuckle!  :lol:

Maybe the best glass to keep from your collection is what you like.  Whether it's Bohemian or Murano isn't so important if you enjoy looking at it.

I wouldn't have guessed this was Bohemian...I was thinking it was maybe Scandinavian  :roll:  thanks for the ID Ivo.   :)

PS:  Personally, I think it's a lovely shape.  :D
PPS:  Could you resize your pics before putting them on the board please?  They make my screen go all wonky!
I am not a man

Offline insaneprofessor

• Members
Is this Murano glass?
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 05:56:06 PM »
Sorry

pic resized  :)

I like glass but I desperately need a) space and b) a film camera.  

I like glass and I like nice things but I like film cameras more  :wink:

I've sold things on ebay for a fraction of what I thought they were worth and I'd rather give stuff away to friends than sell it for peanuts.

The friends I have in mind who might like the ashtray have a funky groovy retro flat so for them they would love it.  They’re not connoisseurs of glass, they just like funky retro looking stuff.  They also smoke (yuk) so would have some practical use for the thing.  Smoking makes me feel ill and ashtrays are of no use to me.    

I also don’t want any complications or problems due to complaints about condition so I’m in 2 minds as to whether or not to sell it.
 :?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Is this Murano glass?
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 07:01:27 PM »
I also don’t want any complications or problems due to complaints about condition so I’m in 2 minds as to whether or not to sell it.

That's a good point.  Once you say there's damage, you can kiss a decent price goodbye.  Personally, I don't mind having damaged glass if it means I can get a nice piece that I wouldn't normally be able to afford!  :D

...and I have a vase that has a totally smashed upper rim, but I just turn that to the back and hope no-one notices.  :wink:   :lol:

Thanks for re-sizing your pics, are they 858x538 now, or is it just my computer?  For viewing on the board, they shouldn't be more than approximately 300x300 or similar, as any than that pushes the sides of the board out and you can't read the thread easily.  :(

Welcome the board btw!
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand