No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red vase - Italian? Crimped rim and prunts  (Read 11510 times)

Offline jinxi

• Members
Re: Red vase - Italian? Crimped rim and prunts
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 08:18:24 AM »
I have always imagined that if Barovier held the patent for a specific colour then they would not only have used it but possibly have flaunted it a little too!

I have no idea when the patent would have expired or whether they would have let other glassmakers use it or supplied it to them and collected a fee from them as a form of revenue.  There does seem to be an awful lot of the red and gold colour around but was that simply because it was very fashionable during, I think, 1930s/1940s or because it is not particularly fashionable now and people are selling?

Veronica

Offline ginogrammy

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 09:18:19 PM »
I have almost the same deep ruby red vase with the gold included leaves on the base and the rigarre(?) along the top. It is swirl glass and it the most gorgeous deeeep ruby red and lightweight for it's size. I have been trying to find other venetian or murano glass with the leafs at the base. I am unable to post a photo, but mine is VERY  much like the vase shown here, just shaped a little different. I thought it was Salviati. I so much wish that I knew who was the correct maker. I search many websites, and cannot find another like it with the leaves on the base in this deep ruby red, or any other color & it's really frustrating me. If anyone has any more photos of venetian glass with the leaves @ base, I would LOOOOVE to see them! Hope I will be able to solve the mystery!!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 09:37:47 PM »
two items... the salt cellars are deep ruby, the bowl blue - both bought together.

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »
Ivo, your salts look like the dark ruby I was thinking of but not seen nearly as much of that fabulous dark blue, I wonder why?

I have an old vase which I think is Murano and has a third type of face prunt, (not mastered photos yet)!

Was it Paolo Venini who said something like ...... I can sell any vase as long as it's blue!  Not sure the quote or the attribution is correct but I suspect the logic is. 

I also wonder whether the leaves vase Ginogrammy commented on could be Vetreria Artistici Barovier. 

Very little fact and a lot of hypothesising in my remarks which I hope are not adding to the confusion.

Veronica

Offline ginogrammy

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 11:30:11 PM »
What maker would be best guess for Keiths Red vase with the crimped rim and leaf feet? Salviati & Co.? or Artisti barovier? Late 1800's?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 09:23:11 AM »
These red things with swirls and gold in the clear bits worry me. They're not desperately well made and seem to pop up everywhere in one form or another.  My guess would be that some of them are genuine older Murano and some are cheap and cheerful modern, whether Murano or elsewhere.

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 11:14:23 AM »
Think you are probably absolutely correct Christine!

Offline ginogrammy

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 07:43:44 AM »
I know that my piece is old, and please let me know if you would where in the world they're popping up everywhere, as I cannot find any like mine anywhere and the closest that I've seen, is the vase @ the beggining of this post.

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »
Promise to let you know the next time I spot one!

Offline ginogrammy

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 06:47:53 AM »
Thanks SO VERY much! I cannot wait to see ANY others pop up! I've been searching for AGES it seems!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand