No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red vase - Italian? Crimped rim and prunts  (Read 11478 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Red vase - Italian? Crimped rim and prunts
« on: October 01, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
Split from:  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36514.msg198714.html#msg198714

Thanks Tam Bam,pic's as requested....

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Red vase - Italian? Crimped rim and prunts
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 05:39:04 PM »
Murano for sure but no-one seems to know precisely who did ruby red with gold. Check the files for "lion prunt" - you'll find some nifty conversation.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
Hi again Keith,

Just wondering if there is any gold in the leaves of the foot of the vase.  I cannot tell in the pic you posted. 

tam bam

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
Ivo; have seen some of the previous posts,might take another look and refresh the old grey matter!
Tam Bam;yes there is gold in the foot,I have two other similar pieces,pic's inc'

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 06:22:56 PM »
Beautiful vases!!  The red is so intense and nice details.  Hopefully someone will be able to identify them.  Thanks for sharing with us. 

tam bam

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 09:03:22 PM »
Ivo, thank you for pointing out the previous discussions re prunts which I have read with interest. 

Rather than post comments on the old posts I thought that I would post them all here instead (not sure if that is a good move or not).  No comments on the lion's head prunts but I do on the 'cherubs'.  Definitely agree that they are not cherubs but not sure whether masks - Anita's suggestion.  The man in the three cornered hat is the symbol of the Venetian Carnivale, I think this is the man's face (possibly a mask) and the frame to the prunt represents the underside of the hat.  I have a jug which features this image and The Loschs have a Venini/Bianconi poodle on their website with this head instead of a poodle's head.  The edges of the hat are always depicted as ruffled which, I imagine, might indicate that they were, in reality, feathered.

In another of the old posts on prunts there was a discussion of heart shaped bowls and, once again, I see them as representing this tricorn hat not a heart.

Regarding the attribution of ruby coloured glass:-
From the Barovier website:-
C. 1887 The "Artisti Barovier" company awarded a "brevetto di procedimento" (the italian words for procedure patent) for the production of "ruby and cornelian without gold" (rubino e corniola senza l'uso dell'oro).
I have therefore always believed that the very intense dark ruby red glass was their work and have certainly seen examples of what are certainly some of their designs in this colour.  Hope that helps but feel free to disagree! 
Veronica

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 09:09:27 PM »
Sorry Keith, went a little of the main point there - but hard to tell which colour red your glass really is! Picture 6404 is closest to the ruby I am thinking is Barovier but I am not sure that all your pieces are the same colour or whether it is just the photography/lighting which is making them appear different.  Maybe you should place them next to each other and see whether you can discern any basic differences in the colour of the red.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »
Hi Keith - I have a Archimede Seguso bowl that reminds me a bit of yours but as there were many making similar pieces you can just take this as another bit of info.

There is also an Achimede Lamp that belongs to a friend of ours not as close but attached for info.

Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 12:18:45 AM »
Thanks all for the replies,in regards to colour the taller vases 2nd pic' is correct the 'open' bowl the 1st pic' and the small bowl with prunts the 2nd pic,had them for some time would like to be able to put a name to them one day,thanks again,
                                                                                                               Keith ;D

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 05:42:56 AM »
 :hi: Keith:
He is another link with some other ones that look Ruby Red too (and a Blue one) too.  As Max said back there -- "Might as well try and group them together a bit..."     so here is some more grouping.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19499.0.html

Looks like a lion head to me , on your item.   :hiclp: :hiclp: Nice, just wish these could be figured out   ;)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand