No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identity of Green Glass Item ID = Gunnel Sahlin for Kosta Boda  (Read 4889 times)

Offline trevoraki

• Members
Identity of Green Glass Item ID = Gunnel Sahlin for Kosta Boda
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
I have just joined the forum today so would like to say hello.

I have this piece of glass that I found at a stall in South West France but don't know anything about it. It has some writing engraved on one end but I'm not at all sure what it says. Maybe it's French. I'd like to know if anyone has an idea of where it may come from. It is quite solid when you tap it with your finger nails (it is actually hollow) and measures 7" x 4" (18 x 10cm) approximately. Weight 17.7oz (500gm).

Here are the images. I have tried to photograph the writing on the end but its not written on a flat bit of glass and reflections keep showing up. I'm sure a native speaker can read it though. I can read normal French but this may not be French.

The last two images look a bit strange because I wrapped a piece of black plastic and cloth round the main section to block out the light.

I've now added two more pictures. One from each end.

I can't see any mold marks anywhere but then maybe it was blown.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Identity of Green Glass Item
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:00:41 PM »
As it says, Kosta Boda is the maker.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:09:05 PM »
You've got good eyesight Ivo!  :o 

Welcome to the GMB trevoraki...great photos by the way!  :hiclp:

I am not a man

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »
A great item to bring to GMB as your first piece. As Max says, welcome. You have also quickly had the help of Ivo, whose opinion most of us have greatly appreciated at one time or another! Kosta Boda is out of my knowledge sphere but I know there must be several collectors who use this site. The pattern numbers may be explained in an earlier post. By searching GMB under Kosta Boda will hopefully gain you some more information relating to this piece. Hopefully collectors will add more, how old this marrow design is and who designed it etc... Good luck,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline trevoraki

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:33:15 PM »
Thanks Max and Ivo.

I had only just finished posting the details when Ivo sprang into action with a reply. Thank you so much. I knew a native speaker (well Holland is sort of close to Sweden) would be able to read the text.

I've carried this piece around for several years and bought it "on spec" originally from someone at a vide-grenier in France. I didn't even see the writing on the end, at the time.

Thanks Max for your comment on my photos. I'm an amateur but like to make the most of any hardware I use. Taken with a Fuji Finepix S5700 using my home made shutter release adaptor. 

Trevor

Offline trevoraki

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »
Thank you too Robert.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 05:48:28 AM »
Just to add that the designer is Gunnel Sahlin. It's one of her 'Frutteria' (I've also seen it 'Fruteria') series, her best selling line for Kosta Boda, designed in 1989.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline trevoraki

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 07:30:11 AM »
David
With your bit of info I have now found this link which describes perfectly the characteristics of a similar piece from the same series, down to the weight and dimensions. Amazing stuff. Thank you all for your input and I'm so glad I took to this piece on-spec all those years ago.

(http://www.stylehive.com/bookmark/big-frutteria-kosta-boda-fruit-figurine-by-gunnel-sahlin-at-retro-art-glass-1116966)

Trevor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand