No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed pattern vase hand finished - huh? ID = US Glass  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
pressed pattern vase hand finished - huh?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 01:57:55 AM »
Ivo:

Thank you for the last set of pictures.  They confirmed a suspicion that I had seen this before.  I think this piece is the "6 in Rose Jar" in US Glass's No. 9525 Tableware Pattern shown in their 1919 Export catalog.  Reference page 162 of "Victorian Colored Pattern Glass Book 5 - US Glass from A to Z" by William Heacock & Fred Bickenheuser.  It is shown exactly as yours - no metal lid.

Sid

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 09:01:29 AM »
Thank you Sid for a positive ID on this obscure item.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 10:39:29 AM »
I'm fairly I saw another one in the Lady Heyes antique centre near Frodsham, Cheshire, yesterday, so they're obviously well-travelled. BUT Sid may have solved a mystery for me.

I have just purchased from a wellknown auction site what had I hoped was a Davidson cakestand with a hobnail pattern in between gadroons in canary vaseline glass.

However, it's not the Davidson hobnail pattern, which has four little nails in between the big ones. This has five small nails between the big ones and the centre is wrong - sort of fans, more like the fish tails on the Bagley fish scale stuff.

Is it the same manufacturer as Ivo's rose bowl?

cakestand base
cakestand

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 09:40:17 PM »
lustrousstone:

Your cakestand is beautiful but I didn't solve your mystery.  This is not the same pattern as Ivo's Rose Jar.  I would guess a continental maker rather than North American based solely on appearance.

Sid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand