No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venetian Fishy?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Venetian Fishy?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 09:26:31 PM »
Everything looks right for it to be Salviati, IMO. The crimps and tooling of the fins, the melted color inclusions, the flow of the piece look right. I don't think wear is a good indicator on this type of piece because of the way it is built. If it has been handled carefully enough not to break the delicate applied glass, I wouldn't expect wear. My only concern is the weight of the glass. I've not handled any of these type vases, so I'm not sure what they "should" weigh.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Re: Venetian Fishy?
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 11:55:53 PM »
Perhaps I am overly cautious, picky, negative but I do not believe 90+% of  "early" / 19th century claims in this style of Venetian glass..

I am hard put to find or think of any quality Murano where powers or frits are used to colour pieces with the exception the very fine, subtle and scarce polveri pieces, of which this does not belong. I would be happily proved wrong with some reliably attributed examples. I am not including gold, sliver, mica and adventurine inclusions which are of course quite common, nor granizioli where the frits are largely external.

Here the frits are sparse, uneven, multi coloured and not well marvered in. It looks sloppy to my eye.
It should weigh less than half that for early production.

Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand