No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Glass Difference  (Read 1463 times)

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
Whitefriars Glass Difference
« on: October 02, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »
I've picked up a drunken bricklayer glass for a nice amount money, it was labelled up as slate.. as there is no such colour in the drunken bricklayer collection. I can't seem to tell a major difference between Willow and Pewter. So now I'm hmmming here and there trying to tell the difference between to the two colours. I was wondering if anyone show me some pictures of the two colours together or the major differences.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: Whitefriars Glass Difference
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 08:30:14 PM »
I haven't a photo handy at the moment ( maybe tomorrow if someone else doesn't show one before) but the major difference is that Willow shows a definite green tinge to it, whereas Pewter is just Grey. Why don't you put a photo on of your vase?

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 08:45:07 PM »
Heres my vase. The bottom of the vase has some dirt that needs cleaning out. :)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »
It looks Pewter in this photo.  I would say though, that Pewter, Willow and sometimes Indigo do tend to be difficult to discern in photos, they seem to "pick up" surrounding colours  from other objects or fabrics nearby.  I have a Willow vase which I tried to picture accurately on numerous occasions and nearly all the results make it look Pewter!  I know that is not much help to you but 
they are (to me at least) fairly obvious in the flesh! Just in photos are tricky.  Will try a photo later for you.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Hi, a couple of photos here showing a willow bark flanked by  a pair in pewter, see quite clearly the difference in both shades of pewter and the distinctive greenish look of the willow, sometimes hard to tell from a photo, agree Emmi, sure it is pewter, by the way Silver also available for a short time but luckily not in either of these patterns.

http://www.whitefriars.com/bb_orig/viewtopic.php?t=3938

Hambone here in my album, maybe shows how you can easily be fooled by the colours, definitely willow this one but looks decidedly pewter in some shots :-[

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/107067405711297858658/WHITEFRIARSWILLOW9656HAMBONEVASE#  

Just to complicate things this one was bought as pewter but in the flesh lovely shade of indigo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230523364437

Almost forgot lilac, also often confused with pewter, confused? you are now

http://www.whitefriars.com/my_photo.php?pageNum_members=31&totalRows_members=1401&Id=6796

Chris :sun:

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 04:26:10 PM »
Now I am confused first I have to work out whats not fake, now I have to work out what colour is which :(

Thanks for the links!  I'm not sure if im even more confused now ;) I'll just ignore silver exist.

There is no green in my glass but when the light is not shining on it, it can look like a dark grey of shade which seems more like willow. I was hoping it was pewter and it seems like it is woop!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand