No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Vase Could be Bohemia?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
Re: Blue Vase Could be Bohemia?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
Hehe, I don't think its French.  :'(

Do you know what the effect is called maybe after 10 hours of searching I'll find out hehe.
Me provoke! never only if I had more glass with pontils.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 02:14:47 AM »
This glass is really bugging me, I can't find nothing alike! The honeycomb effect reminds me of Loetz Nautilus I know its not hehe. I'm going to give up all hope on it soon  :'(

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »
 :) Comments on Sue's "bug-bear" ...

A pontil rod (or punty) is the long hollow metal rod glass is blown on.
No bits of glass have "a pontil" on them.
Well ... actually, a pontil is a solid iron rod. A blowing iron is the one that is hollow. But leaving that point aside ... the "pontil" / "pontil scar" thing has been 'cleared up' in the Quarter 3, 2010 issue of the 'PCA Newsletter' [it's to do with paperweights]. Drew Ebelhare, "PCA, Inc. Artist Representative", politely corrected a correspondent's spelling with the following ...
"Puntel" is "Pontil", or "Punty" in slang glassblower terminology. It is also not a "Pontil Rod" as a pontil is a rod so that would be like calling it a Rod, rod.
So there you have it. We must not say "pontil rod".

Sue qualified her own second comment with:
I suppose, to be completely accurate, only HOT bits of glass have pontils on them.
Probably not true, Sue! It might be possible to have a pontil with a lump of cold glass on it - not in normal use, of course, but it could happen. That assumes, of course, that a gather of glass will not automatically fall off the pontil when it all goes cold. But perhaps it will? What do I know? Not a lot. :)
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 08:37:42 AM »
Perhaps I shouldn't embark on long wordy sentences or explanations while I'm still all :thud: from the conference - thanks for putting me right. :-[

But the mark on the base of a bit of glass is NOT a pontil.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand