No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: old cut glass / crystal bowls - any IDing info?  (Read 4733 times)

Offline insaneprofessor

• Members
old cut glass / crystal bowls - any IDing info?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 11:09:30 PM »
Thanks all  :)

I was also wondering whether I should get them re-gilded

alternatively there's an art supplies shop near me that sells sheets of real gold leaf, I'm wondering how easy / hard it is to apply?

IMMIC the sheets are sold in very expensive thick books of leaf rather than just a few sheets so it could be tricky

I've seen people doing something similar on TV, picking the sheets up using static and a paintbrush, gently applying it to the engraved bits and wiping  the smooth bits away (might be harder then it looks though)  :?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 11:53:49 PM »
I have a bowl that went cloudy in the dishwasher as well... it seems some glass is susceptible to this. Not all glass is dishwasher safe! Certainly anything with gilding should not be dishwashered as that will strip it very fast... said she who removed some faded patchy gilding from a couple of brandy balloons - the sort you see from Olde English Nights at the Lodge - to make them plain glass again.

From what I've seen gold leaf can be finicky to apply. :(
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 08:06:36 AM »
IMHO it would be quite insane, Professor, to try and regild your finger bowls. I think finicky doesn't begin to describe the process, and in the end you would still be left with a set of gold leaf applied (but not fired on) finger bowls. Finger bowls are part of a large glass service but take up an awful amount of cupboard space and are therefore often disposed of. Their value is limited. The use of finger bowls has gone out of fashion in the 1930s and anyway, when is the last time you decked the table with them?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline insaneprofessor

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 09:22:21 AM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
IMHO it would be quite insane, Professor, to try and regild your finger bowls. I think finicky doesn't begin to describe the process, and in the end you would still be left with a set of gold leaf applied (but not fired on) finger bowls. Finger bowls are part of a large glass service but take up an awful amount of cupboard space and are therefore often disposed of. Their value is limited. The use of finger bowls has gone out of fashion in the 1930s and anyway, when is the last time you decked the table with them?

cool
I just quite fancied it as a project as I enjoy arty / crafty finicky things
If it wouldn't work then I won't even try it.

I stopped using finger bowls last year as it just created too much work for the servants  :wink:

Seriously, I've never used finger bowls but have used them for serving trifle and they look fantastic with all the trifle layers and the light catching on the glass /crystal and the jelly.  

I think I'll list them as glass / crystal bowls and put that they're finger bowls in the text of the listing, while rambling on about how great they are for serving trifle in

Cool people eat lots of trifle a lot so I'm hoping this will work as a marketing strategy LOL

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand