No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: old cut glass / crystal bowls - any IDing info?  (Read 4758 times)

Offline insaneprofessor

• Members
old cut glass / crystal bowls - any IDing info?
« on: December 21, 2005, 11:28:52 AM »
Me again
exuse all these posts, I'm just excited to have discovered the boards
I have 7 of these bowls

they are definitely cut glass or crystal.

I used to have 8 but my beloved sister put one in the dishwasher and, apart from removing all the gilt, it turned the bowl into a milky colour that I can't remove.  :roll:

I'm know nothing about them and any information that anyone can give would be, as always, very much appreciated.  

Thanks and Season's Greetings
Louise :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 07:30:07 PM »
Hello Insaneprofessor
Nice items.
This is not my area of expertise (if I have one !) but I will comment as far as I can, as the experts are busy right now.

The glass may or may not be full lead crystal. The "ping" test will help ! Try to describe the sound. I would imagine that such fine work would be done on at least fairly good quality glass.

This is not what I normally think of when I think of "cut" glass. There seems to be both cutting and engraving on this piece but the cutting is so fine that maybe it's done with a copper wheel or some other technique.
Hopefully Ivo, Bernard, Terry, Adam A or Frank will know.

As to maker, that may be difficult as the design is so classical and I imagine done by a number of different makers.

Peter
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline insaneprofessor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 07:58:36 PM »
Have added my location  8)

if I balance them on my fingers and gently bring them together they do make a lovely bell like chiming sound that continues for perhaps 1- 2 seconds after the initial impact, not for as long as a singing bowl but you get the idea.

These things are so subjective though, perhaps there are even more bell like chimes to be got from even more crystaly bowls?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 08:20:38 PM »
Had a quick flip through Replacements and a possible match to the bottom teardrops was found for Fostoria, Thomas, Stuart and Royal Doulton. Stuart signatures can be very faint and hard to see.

Engraving could be mechanical, on a lathe, but I doubt it is etched.

If they are small bowls a shorter ring is normal, how big are they? A close up of the side might help.

Offline insaneprofessor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 09:22:27 PM »
thanks Frank

8)

I'm not sure if this helps

I can probably get a very close up pic, just give me a few moments, I'll measure one too

back in a sec :)

Offline insaneprofessor

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »
close ups here :)

the bowls measure 4 3/8" across the top

:)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 09:51:09 PM »
Is all the engraving gilt?

Offline insaneprofessor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 10:00:18 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Is all the engraving gilt?

some of the bowls have more gilt than others, in some the gilt has faded more then others.  

the one shown here is about in the middle.

I don't think there's any gilt in the circular shapes around the base, although whether they have always been like this or whether they were originally gilt and it has since worn away I don't know.

edited to add

I bought these in a charity shop ages ago and for some years used them to serve trifle in

they look lovely with a nice sherry trifle in them

8)

after the fiasco with my sister and the dishwasher I put them in a box in a cupboard and forgot about them for about 8 years.

I want to sell them now as I'm too lazy to use bowls that I can't put in a dishwasher LOL

also I want a film camera so bad it hurts  :D

I'd be very pleased if they turned out to be valuable *crossses fingers*

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 10:33:42 PM »
look a lot like German Rosenthal finger bowls
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 10:41:46 PM »
I cannot help with maker, but it appears to me to be wheel cut. The design was cut using a cutting wheel and the cut areas left matt. Gilt was then applied to those ares. This type is usually on the thin side, but of good quality glass. Unfortunately when found today most of the gilt has disappeared. Here is a piece on ebay that helps illustrate a very good one with lots of gilt.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7376629551&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Most of the ones I see are of this type, more Victorian in appearance. Yours seems later, Terry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand