No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Twists glass Edinburgh paperweights  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Twists glass Edinburgh paperweights
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 11:12:03 AM »
Perhaps what he changed was the order of doing things.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 12:00:29 PM »
THe first torch he had was oxygen - which was running out. That was when he thought he might have to change plans for the blue surface-decorated weight.
He normally uses oxy-acetylene.

The original plan was to make the two weights, the clear crystal close-pack and the blue surface decorated.

I think they've found that it's a practical and economical method to do two weights at one time - it certainly was for the purposes of this demonstration because he wasn't using the glass from the pot, but his own crystal and things which were kept in a second annealling oven - perhaps with the temperature set for his needs there on the day.

When the second torch was produced, he was able to continue with the original plan.

Wuff has very kindly written to me privately, to point out my error in thinking that interesting bits of the canes might have been left behind in the bit of the clear crystal glass which was chopped off.  :-[ :-[ :-[

The actual canes had been "squeezed" into the dome - the outer ring of white-surrounded canes were slightly longer than the others - it would only have been a few squished bits of them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 12:19:40 PM »
Here is another image of the canes set up - showing clearer that the outer white canes are much longer, to form a sort of basket in the final weight, with the complex canes completely within the closepack weight.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »
Planning such demos takes a lot of work and especially when a particular type of glass is needed and particular temperatures. It is a caveat in the cap for Edinburgh College of Art that they were able to accommodate the needs of two different glassmakers in quick succession on the Saturday and a third on the Monday. Not to mention a split screen presentation and live video of an engraving demo on the Sunday.

ECA technicians prepared everything in advance and everything ran smoothly, including me between the three widely separated lecture rooms 50 or 60 times on the Saturday.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 08:09:32 PM »
We were all well impressed with the smoothness of things. I was just trying to work out if Mike was using Plan A or Plan B

Heating the cane setup for the close pack (a mix of Mike and Aaron Hunter canes, plus a mixed Mike and Aaron cane)

Most of my other bits are video

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 11:58:49 AM »
Mike Hunter also gave a second demonstration: making a small vessel using the Pastorale pick-up technique. I have posted a selection of images in the glass section.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 04:14:10 PM »
I have really enjoyed the photos and all the comments/observations, etc.  Thank you all for taking the time to share your experiences at what must have been an amazing conference.

In appreciation ..... Lily  :hiclp:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 07:46:26 PM »
Both of these weights and one donated by Peter Holmes that was the last of the edition of 32 Paul Ysart homage weights made for the 2005 conference will be non-profit auctioned on Scotland's Glass from the 1st to 14th of November.

Proceeds will be used to meet the costs of the Edinburgh conference, with any surplus going to the Glass-Study.org to preserve glass web-sites.

I will post in market-place closer to the date but as weight collectors have made it clear they only look in this forum I am posting here now so no one misses a chance at these rather special items!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »
The demonstration pictures for Mike Hunter are now on Scotland's glass along with details of the paperweight auctions.
http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 02:25:34 PM »
Color me stupid, Frank, but I can't find the auction details on the provided link. Can you give instructions on where it is or provide a more detailed link?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand