No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: fake sig Venini  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
fake sig Venini
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 07:35:23 AM »
So crudely faked  you cannot even decypher the middle line which is supposed to read "murano".

Offline Puresine1964

• Members
fake sig Venini
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 09:52:22 PM »
I suspect that the signature has poorly photographed, but i was clearly able to read the word murano. Look at the base, loads of wear, i reckon at the very least it has age. I would say it's real but why not ask for the providence if your unsure. Ian

Offline RAY

• Members
fake sig Venini
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 10:00:37 PM »
hi Ian

it's 100% fake, looks to be done with acid etching cream put on with a brush
cheers Ray

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
fake sig Venini
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 10:03:34 PM »
it is the shape of the stencil which is unconvincing. Lettering may be smeared sometimes - as happens with a rubber stamp -  but the font on this one just deviates too much. Never mind the wear.
Maybe we're just highly suspicious because these mosaic vases are a faker's favourite and start to bark at the slightest hint of  irregularity. And as bidding runs high, maybe the bidders have different (read: more accurate or up to date)  information.... but I vote WRONG.

Offline chuggy

• Members
fake sig Venini
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 10:20:27 PM »
I've watched this discussion with interest and the signature does appear somewhat crude, however, the overall look of the vase appears right from what are really not very good photographs. I've checked out a whole heap of these pezzato's and they do vary quite a lot. I'd really like to hear Lauras take on this one but my gut feeling is that it's a good one.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand