No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What Do You Call This Technique???  (Read 3002 times)

Offline claretjugcollector

• Members
  • The spoilt rotten Claret Jug Collector ...
    • www.karaffensammler.at
Re: What Do You Call This Technique???
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 05:22:05 PM »
 :or: :or: :or:
...Man made electric light to take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark
.... James B.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 05:57:12 PM »
Hi ,
      This glass is obviously based on the 18thc origionals known as cherry baskets, thought to have been made in Liege and or Bohemia some also think they could also have been made in England, they are usually of good quality lead glass, this piece probably takes it influence from those earlier pieces but is of a much later date I think, below is a photo of my basket and plate,

Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 06:28:27 PM »
stunning Peter :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  -  you appear to have a slightly smaller version than the piece shown in Felice Mehlman's book 'The Illustrated Guide to Glass'  (incidentally a very worthwhile book that I would recommend to everyone) -page 142.   If you want to see a very good example of the more modern Tiffany take on 'diatreta', try page 113 in the Grovers 'Art Glass Nouveau'  -  gorgeous. :)    But none of which is really helping 'amw'  -  perhaps someone else can contibute please. :)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »
In the  'Glass In The Rijksmuseum' catalogue they are described as 'open work mesh pattern',made of smooth threads nipped into an open work mesh. and in their day in the 18thc they were very expensive items,the open mesh work being entirely hand worked and time consuming.

Peter

Offline a-mighty-wind

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 01:16:14 AM »
You guys are great!!!! nothing super helpful yet but all of your passion for glass is very appreciated. It it is most definately not machine work. Let's keep it going....even if we can't ID the piece as a novice I always learn something.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 07:11:30 PM »
Definitely should not be could 'cage' or diatreta as that has a very clear meaning. Don't like the term 'lace' but 'open work' sounds good. It is simply trailed in the air. A good glass making chair could do this on the rod as in Peter's examples but it could presumably also be done over a hot mould which would result in a relatively smoother inside as there would be some falltening of the threads were it contacted the mould.. These can also be made by solo lampworkers and would then tend to be more delicate.

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »
Not talking about your bowl here but just thought it worth mentioning that Frederick Carder also did some of this type of work for Steuben around 1912, think the literature refers to them as lattice glass.  They are illustrated in Gardner's 'The Glass of Frederick Carder' and in Dimitroff's 'Frederick Carder and Steuben Glass'.  The lattice glass tends to be a little more irregular and 'open' than that it oldglassman's beautiful piece.

Veronica

Offline claretjugcollector

• Members
  • The spoilt rotten Claret Jug Collector ...
    • www.karaffensammler.at
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
correct !! :clap:
...Man made electric light to take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark
.... James B.

Offline a-mighty-wind

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 03:07:45 AM »
Are we completely ruling Steuben out of the pic??? Looked at the book Jinxi mentioned and the piece looks very similar to the "lattice glass" pieces in The Fredrick Carder and Steuben Glass book. But the form is Diff....The color looks similar to a Steuben piece I owned years ago.

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 03:25:08 AM »
Hi there, really like some of the stuff you are posting about, inidividual and quirky!   Sorry, not had time to photo my piece for you yet.  I am pretty convinced mine is Italian, I suspect yours is too!  Don't know a huge amount about Steuben but added the article to add a little to the general subject.  Think - not absolutely sure -  the Steuben ones all date from a fairly long time ago and that yours and mine are mid to late 20th century but hopefully I will get to upload my images and other people may add something useful into the posting too!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand