Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Scandinavian Glass

Holmegaard 'Viking' Caraffe with Iridescent Rim...

(1/2) > >>

Pinkspoons:
Another very specific Holmegaard thread from me, I'm afraid... :oops:

This smoked glass Ole Winther caraffe/decanter arrived in the post today (I was expecting it, it wasn't just a random appearance!  :lol: ) and it has a strange iridescent finish, rather like petrol on water. It doesn't really show up in photographs very well except as a slight burnished tinge. When I use the flash and it comes up electric-blue/white.

I've just never seen one with this finish before, and thought it was a bit strange. At first I thought it was some kind of bizarre staining, but the absence of the iridescence inside precludes this. Has anyone else seen one?

(Excuse the grubbiness, I only unwrapped it half an hour ago and haven't had chance to give it a wash)

Anne:
Nic, I've had that effect appear on some glass that's been through the dishwasher. :(

Pinkspoons:
Oh dear. That can't be good.

Would it only affect the rim, though?

Pinkspoons:
I've been pootling about on Google and the dishwasher effect on glass is due to too-hot water and too-strong detergent. Still confused as to why it's only affected part of the rim, though.  :?

Anne:
Could be a different cause altogether of course, but thought it was worth mentioning the d/w just in case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version