No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard 'Viking' Caraffe with Iridescent Rim...  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Holmegaard 'Viking' Caraffe with Iridescent Rim...
« on: December 22, 2005, 11:48:51 AM »
Another very specific Holmegaard thread from me, I'm afraid... :oops:

This smoked glass Ole Winther caraffe/decanter arrived in the post today (I was expecting it, it wasn't just a random appearance!  :lol: ) and it has a strange iridescent finish, rather like petrol on water. It doesn't really show up in photographs very well except as a slight burnished tinge. When I use the flash and it comes up electric-blue/white.

I've just never seen one with this finish before, and thought it was a bit strange. At first I thought it was some kind of bizarre staining, but the absence of the iridescence inside precludes this. Has anyone else seen one?

(Excuse the grubbiness, I only unwrapped it half an hour ago and haven't had chance to give it a wash)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 06:23:18 PM »
Nic, I've had that effect appear on some glass that's been through the dishwasher. :(
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 06:38:36 PM »
Oh dear. That can't be good.

Would it only affect the rim, though?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 09:14:40 PM »
I've been pootling about on Google and the dishwasher effect on glass is due to too-hot water and too-strong detergent. Still confused as to why it's only affected part of the rim, though.  :?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 09:28:51 PM »
Could be a different cause altogether of course, but thought it was worth mentioning the d/w just in case.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 12:08:24 AM »
No, I appreciate you mentioning it - it wouldn't have crossed my mind as a cause! (Let's face it, the state I got it in, who would have thought it'd been even in the same room as a dishwasher? :lol: ) I'd just put it down to either a purposeful quirky finish, or a flaw somewhow when it was made.

It's very peculiar, because if it was metal, it would look very much like someone had taken a blowtorch to it - it's mostly focused at the front of the rim, on the right side, and it spans out from blue at the centre into bright purple and then a burnt reddy orange and then fades into the normal glass colour. I wish I could photograph it, but my camera refuses.

Connie

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 10:55:33 AM »
From the area of the color change it looks like it might be from use.  The liquid contents were poured and  a small amount was left sitting on the lip.  It is concentrated around the pouring lip.  I wonder if alcohol containing liquids would hasten the process   :?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 12:06:48 PM »
But it's also on the vertical parts where liquid would have dripped away. Curiouser and curiouser...

Another thing that draws me in to think it might be some mishap during its production is that the only areas affected are very smooth when the rest of the caraffe is quite ripply and rustic. Could over-application of heat when the pouring channel was formed have caused this? (The rest of the decanter was pressed or mould-blown, but this bit seems to be hand-finished)

Ah well, it was only a few pounds - no big loss. And it's still pretty and practical.  :D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 11:18:12 PM »
Ah, seems my theory about the irridescence being caused by the application of heat when the pouring spout was hand-finished was correct, as I bought another two Viking decanters - one in aqua blue and one in cobalt blue - and both have identical marking. So I'm guessing it's a common feature, rather than a factory second. Hurray, so it wasn't a duff 'un!  :D

Apologies for the poor photos - it's been a long day and I'm lacking the energy to set up the lighting properly... same goes for the grubbiness of the two new decanters! :oops:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand