No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: TECHIE TIPS: Why your picture won't upload despite being just less than 125kb  (Read 13049 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
This is something I get asked periodically, so it's worth adding here the explanation as to why some uploads fail even though they are slightly less than the 125kb file size limit.

The limit is 125kb but with files that are very close to that size you get a failure as the uploading process adds what's called overhead to the file.

Basically it means that, when the file is uploaded, it's split into small chunks called packets, and each packet then has a start and end point added to it, so the server knows how to reassemble all the bits into the correct layout at the other end, so your picture displays properly.

That overhead can make the file just slightly larger than the 125kb limit overall as the server limit works on the file size plus the added bits.

So if you have a file which is very close to 125kb (in fact I recommend this for any file over 110kb) make it very slightly smaller by compressing the image in your image software. It'll only need a very slight compression - e.g. on a 120kb file applying as little as 3% compression can reduce the file size enough to fit under the limit whilst not losing the image quality. Using Paint Shop Pro a 120kb file compressed by 3% comes out at 103kb, whilst 10% compression brings the size down to 47kb.

Most imaging software has an option to compress images in this way - although some may say compress by 10%, others may say reduce quality to 90% - both mean the same thing.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand