No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Very heavy lobed/ribbed vase signed "Toso Murano"  (Read 6197 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Very heavy lobed/ribbed vase signed "Toso Murano"
« on: October 13, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »
I've Googled my fingers off, but can't manage to find to which of the many Tosos the signature refers! I've found a few examples of the signature, including one in Christies' auction archive, and several of them estimate 1950s production - but it feels more 1970s to me (but I might be wrong).

The vase is 30cm / 12" tall, weighs an absolute ton, and has a ground base. The signature is on the inside top rim of the vase.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Very heavy lobed/ribbed vase signed "Toso Murano"
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:08:30 AM »
Nic:

I was going to suggest Stefano Toso. I googled and found the thread on Fossilfly that had considered that possibility. I still think it's a possibility. Alex of Art of Venice carries his work so you might write him. http://www.artofvenice.com/art/frm.html The other place where I've seen his work sold is herehttp://www.design-and-arts.com/en/show-products.php?category=69

Nice piece, btw.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »
Stefano is a strong possibility - the "Toso Murano" signed vase on this thread: http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=6997 matches the vases attributed to S. Toso on the Design & Arts site.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:42:49 PM »
Thanks Pinkspoons for finding that thread again.  I have been examining the S. Toso signature and the Toso Murano signature and can see some resemblances in both signatures.  I am now thinking that Stefano did sign also as Toso Murano.  Perhaps that was the name of his furnace or perhaps he did the work for Franco Moretti.  There is not that much info out there on Stefano or Franco so trying to figure that one out is going to be tough.  But before I questioned whether or not Toso Murano was the work of Stefano and now I believe that there is a high probability it is his work.  

Nice vase btw.  :wsh:

tam bam

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 03:52:27 PM »
Oh, excellent. Thanks for taking a look.  :)

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
I am still sticking to my guns that your vase is made by Stefano Toso, but there is another Toso that I just thought of.  His name is Cesare Toso.  I have never seen his signature only labels.  I just wanted to put his name out there also.  But, like I said, I still think your vase is by Stefano.  Cesare's work is totally different than Stefano's and your vase does look like something Stefano would do. 

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 09:09:08 PM »
Here is one of Cesare Toso's signatures.  After actually seeing one, I still think your vase is by Stefano.  He tends to slant his T's.  http://shamrockgardenantiques.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_77_118&products_id=151&zenid=a8trbh8llodp5ld1o1jendian1

tam bam

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 09:58:14 PM »
Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I'm almost certain that the signature on mine is Stefano after finding it (or very very similar) on known work by him.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 06:56:47 PM »
I know this is an old post but a few of the links have gone, here is a signature on a 15 inch vase signed with a piece of paper rolled up inside saying Laguna glass i would think where it was purchased from, my guess is mid to late 80's.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand