No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: info request on 'Jacobean'  (Read 963 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
info request on 'Jacobean'
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:02:24 PM »
Only one of these carries the word 'Jacobean' (embossed on the edge of the foot) - but I believe the other is also the same source.   Quite noticeable differences between the two, however, and without doubt a completely separate mould was used.  The less chunky handle is the 'greyer' of the two - on the left in the third pic. (and carries the logo).    Might this one be an export from Inwald in Czechoslovakia   -  with the other made later in the U.K. perhaps.   Or am I wrong completely about the unmarked one being 'Jacobean'.  Is there an on line catalogue for Jacobean (part or full) that can be viewed??    All thoughts welcome please, and thanks for looking. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: info request on 'Jacobean'
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »
I should look first at Pamela's pictures :-[   It would seem that the broader handled jug (the unmaked example) is Inwald 1928 from the 'Lord' range, and made no doubt in Czechoslovakia.   The marked piece - the greyer coloured glass - I assume then was probably made in the UK.   My thanks to Pamela as always. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:50:51 PM »
opps again............quote from Glen Thistlewood........
..."As a quick rule of thumb (before searching through catalogues etc), to determine if an item was made by Inwald or Davidson, I use the "mirror shiny base" test. If the base of the piece is highly polished / ground and stunningly mirror shiny, then it's almost certainly the Inwald version. The mirror shiny base is a characteristic of much of Inwald's high quality pressed glass. By default, if it doesn't have that characteristic mirror polish, then it's most likely Davidson".

and both these jugs do have a flat very shiny base.    So, maybe they are both Inwald. :huh:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:35:34 PM »
Paul, this is a question that I'd like to know the answer to as well. I have two Jacobean jugs, one clear glass the other is a gorgeous blue, both have the Jacobean mark on the foot rim, both have highly polished shiny bottoms. My blue jug: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,21146.0.html and more on Jacobean here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1800.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »
thanks for the links Anne  -  very interesting, although still leaving us in the dark to some extent, and your blue jug is very desireable :mrgreen:  It is certainly true that coloured pieces from this range turn up very infrequently, sad to say, although I'm not too picky re contition, and if I come across something I don't have already - then flea bites or not, I'd buy it. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand