No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart "Y"  (Read 2945 times)

Offline luckyslap

• Members
Re: Monart "Y"
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 07:15:19 PM »
Hi Frank/Gary/All,

After taking some photographs of shape Y dishes in my collection I noticed something that I was going to bring to your attention that may be of interest you all. On the base ring of one one of these dishes is an acid etched mark which I am assuming possibly another retailer's mark like the FBS mark already documented. As you will appreciate the mark is quite small and the macro on my digital is not that great but I would describe it as a laurel garland with the letters S & H or S & W or S & R. I look forward to all your comments.

Keith  :sc:
Luckyslap.
You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:03:19 PM »
Keith — Imagine you are Schuster & Wilhelmy's representative and you need small, light samples of your colours.   How about Monart shape "Y" — only 3¾" 95mm diameter, 1¼" 31mm high, just 5oz 150g in weight, beautifully made, stackable, and with plenty of room inside for a label to be pasted with your colour codes.   And just to make sure you don't get them muddled up with any others (they were popular as ashtrays), you get them suitably acid-stamped.

Wow, Keith, what a fabulous find.   Rep's samples are the crème de la crème, and, in this case, each is probably unique.

... and what is particularly nice about them is that, if any others have been found, they've been almost certainly been attributed to and sold as Stevens & Williams!!!

I'm green with envy.  :mrgreen:

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 09:31:40 PM »
Saw your post Keith and thought super, great find! I bet Bernard would have something to say on that... scrolled on and there you go  :thup:

Nice thought Bernard but it could be something else! Let's find some more of these marks folks!

Offline luckyslap

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 10:18:38 PM »
Hello all,
I did see Frank's previous reference to S&W as an assist to Gary in his quest but did not make the link Bernard :-[ On reinspecting the mark with an eyeglass I still cannot give a definitive answer as to what the second letter is. Did Schuster and Wilhelmy incorporate a Laurel Garland in their title? An interesting thought Bernard.

Keith  :sc:
Luckyslap.
You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »
The dish is possibly post WW2 which sort of throws a Schu & Will attribution out of the window.

and ten plus years on we have still not solved FBS could we have another long term puzzle or will this one get solved! If it turns out to be a registered trade mark great!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand