No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart "Y"  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart "Y"
« on: October 13, 2010, 08:18:42 PM »
I am doing some research into Monart Glass. In particular, if it is possible to distinguish a pre war Monart “Y” shape and a post war Monart “Y” shape, I choose the “Y” shape as it is one of the most commonest of the Monart shapes . The different type of base finish is where I suspect the answer could be. I have nine “Y” shaped pin dishes with only two type of base finishes, either photo 1 or photo 2. I am leaning towards the type with the base polished flat i.e. no pontil mark left being post war and the type with the base polished and the pontil still visible being pre war. Out of the nine, six have the polished base finish, with three of these having post war labels and one in post war colour way. The type with pontil still protruding, I believe to be in pre war colour ways. This is pure supposition on my part, as it is such minute sample of ”Y” shapes .
What would be of immense help if members could look at any “Y” pin dishes in their collection and photograph the base and email it to me or post on this board, along  with the size and any relevant information. This is for my own personal research and not for publication anywhere else.
Click on the link to view the pin dishes in my collection.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-13482

Pictures of bases
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-13543
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-13542
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-13541
Many thanks in advance
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Monart "Y"
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »

Offline luckyslap

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 10:05:43 PM »
Gary,
I assume you have checked Frank's link which gives his thoughts on the subject. If you still require pictures for your own research contact me on k dot barraclough at talk21 dot com and I will be happy to give you some more data for your research.

Keith  :sc:
Luckyslap.
You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:07:45 PM »
Hi Keith,

Nice to know you are still around... my last email to you bounced, sure it was that address!

Offline luckyslap

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
Hi Frank,

Still around and always checking the forums for anything interesting. The email address is still the same!!
I was disappointed to miss the glass conference as I was out of the country at that time. I hope things went well for you all. Was Bill over from NZ?,I don't know if he is still after all the catalogued shapes or not.I've not spoken to Gary M for some time but I know he watches the forums so he'll maybe phoneafter reading this :)
Best wishes,
Keith
Luckyslap.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:52:13 PM »
 :hi: Me, sir!
I can answer for Bill.
He was here,  :thup:  full of the joys  :sun: :sun: (as is his wont)  :sun: :sun: :sun: and yes, he's still trying to get all the shapes.  :thud:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong. H.L.Mencken

Offline luckyslap

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:12:36 PM »
Thanks Sue

Keith :sc:
Luckyslap.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 12:32:30 AM »
 :rah:

Just did a search on eBay for Monart, first in a looonnnggg time, just 2 out of 13 hits were good. Sad. Remember eBayWatch and the fireworks that caused  :sc:

Completed auctions at 11/23 but oh dear what poor pieces and cheap... Wow. Perhaps I should start collecting again  :P

But I could by a flat in Monart Road for 140k  :wsh: to house the collection! :24:

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 05:02:38 PM »
I have read Frank's piece " My last assumption ? Dating Monart" and agree with his assumption on the subject. I hope to go a small step forward
with this and see if it is possible to date Monart depending on what colour ways were used with the different type of base finish.
Thanks Keith any data you can give me would be much appreciated, I will email you my email address.
This photo is of two Y shaped pin dishes with the same colour code of 156, one  post war the other pre war and there is a pronounced difference in the red used.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-13568
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »
Reds certainly changed with the red used in the 20s not appearing later. Kügler/S&W colours were used both before and after the WW2 see entry for Schuster & Wilhelmy here http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/YGcompany.htm

I state there 'until 1939' but I have (going on memory) some records of post war purchases by Moncrieff so this is perhaps not entirely accurate. Some glass makers would be able to recognise the colours produced by S&W. So once you have a range of pieces try and visit one with them. If you can identify a post-war only colour you will have proof. But do bear in mind that they used the same recipes after WW2 as it was the same chemist in the new company.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand