No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identifying Webb & Whitefriars Wave-ribbed glass?  (Read 6428 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Identifying Webb & Whitefriars Wave-ribbed glass?
« on: December 17, 2005, 04:17:02 PM »
A little piece of information that might help anyone trying to distinguish between Webb & Whitefriar (WF) Wave-ribbed glass.

Looking from the top, Webb always gives a square appearance, while WF gives a hexagonal look. Entirely due to the style of moulds used by the respective companies:

:: click thumbnail to enlarge ::

Top: Whitefriars in Meadow Green
Bottom: Webb's in Amber Sunshine (left) and Blue

Although Webb glass is commonly acid-etched on the base, this is not always the case, and due to the similarities between the two effects, this discovery might just help identification but I really don't have enough WF wave-ribbed to confirm this positively, so if anyone else can help it would be appreciated.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 01:46:16 PM »
An interesting observation although I don't have a Webb version to compare as you do.  Just a small technical point, your Whitefriars green will be Sea Green . I think this shape was phased out in 1969 and Meadow Green did not come in until 1972. If anyone is interested it is Pat. No: 8473 in the catalogues.(whoops, wrong shape, see amendment below)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 02:34:55 PM »
Emmi,  thanks for giving me the correct colour and pattern :)

It would appear that any Webb wave-ribbed does have this 4-sided effect. The only exception is some tiny tumblers and bowls I have (all clear glass, c.1940) but I think these are a different pattern anyway – similar to WF diamond-moulded (Whitefriars Glass, p113) but not as pronounced.

Looking at the same book, p115 & p123, it would seem that all WF wave-ribbed glass would give the illusion of being 6-sided when viewed from the top.

Following is a profile of the same three vases...

:: click thumbnail to enlarge ::

David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Identifying Webb & Whitefriars Wave-ribbed glass?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 03:17:03 PM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
Looking from the top, Webb always gives a square appearance, while WF gives a hexagonal look. Entirely due to the style of moulds used by the respective companies ...

Although Webb glass is commonly acid-etched on the base, this is not always the case, and due to the similarities between the two effects, this discovery might just help identification but I really don't have enough WF wave-ribbed to confirm this positively, so if anyone else can help it would be appreciated.

David — A very useful observation, and, for your statistics, I will throw in another acid-badged Webb wave-ribbed piece with a pattern count of four — a small (4") footed trumpet vase in golden-amber that glows madly under my blacklight tester.   I had not noticed this particular distinction between Webb and WF wave-ribbed before, probably because I can't recall having one of each at the same time.

As you say yourself, your "always" is probably rather over the top.   You can sometimes find exceptions to these general observations.   For example, Walsh Vesta Venetian is always 18-rib, ... until you find a 16-rib example, and Walsh never used their 18-rib mould for anything else, ... until you find an 18-rib Iridescent bowl.   One scenario worth considering is that one master glassblower always used his favourite mould, with a second mould only being brought in for another glassblower to use if they had a rush order.

... and welcome to a very small band of pattern repeat counters.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 03:51:30 PM »
Ignore the pattern number I gave above, I assumed(and didn't possibly look closely enough) that they were the tumbler shaped waved vases.
But the colour info is OK

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 04:02:00 PM »
Bernard, your amber vase must be very similar to the one I pictured? This is 'Amber Sunshine' (the amber glass Webb named that also glows under UV) from the 'Gay Glass' range, and also 4" tall.

Looking at the clear optic-ribbed bowls again, this does have a pattern similar to WF 'diamond-optic', as mentioned previously, and I'm sure these are not the same style as Webb's 'wave-ribbed'. I'll try and post a photo later, but current [quick] attempts with flash are rather poor (always a problem with clear glass, I find).

According to Art, Feat & Mystery by H.W.Woodward the Gay Glass range had three different finishes; Plain, Venetian Ripple, and Old English Bull's Eye. Well, I have loads of Bull's Eye and can only assume that Venetian Ripple is either the 'wave-ribbed' or 'diamond-optic' effects I describe.

[I won't ask what makes a Venetian Ripple... :wink:]

Perhaps I should have qualified my statement with "Given the information to hand, Webb always gives a square appearance...", which was the purpose of the post until further infomation proves the opposite.

Thanks for the update on the WF vase Emmi. I think this is Pat. 9353, 1954 catalogue.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 04:13:35 PM »
Yes you are right, I just found it too!!!  Should be 19.5 cms tall. I have a W./F waved tumbler shape and it too has the hexagonal shape viewed from the top.  Hadn't thought to look from that angle and observe before.  Thanks.

vidfletch

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 04:39:01 PM »
I think this information should be posted on www.whitefriarsorg.org/mf and www.whitefriars.com forums.

It would be very helpful.

Vidfletch :D

Sklounion

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 06:52:32 PM »
David (Dencill),
Its very good to see you back, and with what appears to be a very different and useful diagnostic tool. Well done.
Regards,
Marcus
PS,
have you been reading de Bono??? :lol:

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 10:08:39 PM »
Emmi: thanks for confirming. With so many similarities between makes and styles, it's no wonder the odd attribution goes awry, but I'll post the profile of any item next time!

David F: feel free to divulge this information on WF.com/.org as you wish.

Marcus: Edward de Bono - Six Thinking Hats? Lateral Thinking? :)  Well not quite, but I was just taken to this curious optical effect and then realised WF was different. Quite mundane really :wink:

I've actually been busy designing and updating a few web sites and had a concert to organise (and perform in) hence the prolonged silence. But have been researching Webb and Chance glass when time permitted.

I also have several Czech pieces that need IDing at some stage...!
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand