No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: General Research on Signature Canes - Antique WTS  (Read 1329 times)

Offline hunter-g

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass, Paperweights, Inks
    • USA
General Research on Signature Canes - Antique WTS
« on: May 03, 2013, 01:10:21 AM »
I'm curious if anyone knows of any studies which attempt to quantify how many antique weights from the presumedly known factories are signed (ie; w/ signature canes or the like)? I've seen some loose references to percentages, and granted, not knowing exactly how many examples of all kinds exist adds to uncertainty, but I think it would be great if a place like this (GMB) could become an ongoing and central repository for research along that line.

Of course, I have an ulterior motive (or at minimum, at least, admittedly selfish) but really, I would think anyone who has at least one signed piece would benefit from (and might want to contribute to) the greater knowledge and community of collectors, as so many authors of books on our subject have labored to do over the last few generations... Just another piece to the puzzle, but a lot of progress has already been made in so many areas in the years since I started collecting, that I'm sure some interesting results would begin to appear here as well. (There goes that optimism again - I've got to try to keep it in check!) ::)

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be pleased if this prompts some good feedback and dialogue. And further research. Now, where to begin?...

Thanks / h-g

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: General Research on Signature Canes - Antique WTS
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:12:11 AM »

Hi Bruce.  You are probably aware of Andy Dohan's comprehensive book(s) on signature canes. It might be worth asking him (or as he is a GMB member, hoping he replies) - his researches may well have given him a feel for the frequency of occurence of antique signature canes.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
"Our" KevinH has done a great deal of research on canes with relation to Ysart glass - I am in still awe of his knowledge following his completely fascinating talk at the Perth Conference in 2005.

This is exactly the right place to be setting out on a project such as you are suggesting, hunter-g.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 12:47:08 AM »
For antique weights I would rank them as follows with the most common signature/date canes first and moving to the less common etc:
Baccarat
Clichy "C" canes
NEGC 1852 date canes
Saint Louis
Pietro Bigaglia/Franchini
Bohemian/Josephinenhutte
Clichy full name cane
Islington Glass
Russian

PM me if you would like to buy a copy of the Signature Cane book.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 12:50:06 AM »
Thanks for your kind words, Sue. But to put things in context of Bruce's thoughts ...

With regard to "signed" weights, my investigations into Ysart items has not revealed anything that could be used to provide even an approximation of, for example, how many Paul Ysart weights were and were not "signed" in some way.  The problem with such an analysis is that even though there are some known large collections of Ysart weights, the data set from those alone would not be enough to draw a proper conclusion.

Whether such an analysis could be achieved for antique weights (French and Bohemian being the prime targets) would depend on the good will of private collectors (probably mainly in the USA) but who, I suspect, are unlikely to be contributors to public message boards.

The GMB could be used a central point for collating data but the actual data gathering would probably have to remain as a personal contact method with the various owners of the larger collections.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 09:12:32 AM »
 :)
See? You have already made a big contribution with regard to how to go about it, where the information might be, and mentioning important caveats, Kevin.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline hunter-g

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass, Paperweights, Inks
    • USA
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »
Thanks to all for the follow-ups & encouragement:
Yes, Alan, I have a copy of Andy's book (and the CD Addendum, which is even more full of amazing detail than one would think possible following such a thorough and enjoyable book! Definite recommend for those who haven't added them both to their library yet!) And thanks, Alpha / Andy, for the List following Alan's and others' comments.

As Kevin & Sue discussed, I'm sure it would be something of a logistical and practical dilemma as to how to solicit and compile input, but as one member in a separate thread mentioned, his aim (paraphrased, if I might) is to seek or contribute to information both for clarity and posterity, here on GMB. I see that as an appealing statement that I'm sure is embraced by many, past or present, near or far. As a Worldwide forum, I think it is clearly established as legitimate - as well as being a place where the casual inquiry and enjoyable exchange can add equally to that legitimacy, amidst occasionally (even often) more serious study. I suspect that would appeal to those various collectors and institutions who have not discovered GMB yet; and might at some point, be recognized as THE central point through which information on Glass (and in particular for us in this section, on Paperweights) is preserved.

Maybe something as simple as a "Poll" to start? As Alpha presented a list, maybe other collectors or contributors would be willing forward head-counts from their populations to begin adding numbers to each category? If simply Asked, & possibly under a New Topic / Thread: "Do You OWN Any Antique PWTs with Signature Canes?". Whether or not it would be a scientific poll would be a complex but possibly important incentive for prospective responses - and New Members. Just a thought.

Thanks, all!  h-g / Bruce
ps/ Mint Juleps expected to precede Post Time! Hang on to your hats, ladies!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand