No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: HUGE centrepiece - possibly Venini  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
HUGE centrepiece - possibly Venini
« on: October 16, 2010, 08:25:10 PM »
It's unsigned, but the shape - in smaller sizes and different finishes - is illustrated in the Venini catalogues as a mid/late 1930s Scarpa design. The quality is definitely there for early Venini.

It's 490mm / 19" in diameter, and is a very thin delicate sky-blue cased in clear glass (the blue is fairly even across most of the bowl - it's my rushed lighting causing the patchiness). The pontil mark (the 'white' blob in the centre of the bowl) has been carved out in several strokes.

Confirmation / alternative suggestions most welcome.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: HUGE centrepiece - possibly Venini
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
Design & Arts, incidentally, have the same bowl at 20" diameter: http://www.design-and-arts.com/en/show-products.php?category=62

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 02:25:50 PM »
I've attached a better representation of the colour after taking advantage of a little sunlight today...

So, would I be right in thinking that this is 1920s Scarpa design for Cappellin Venini & Co., that was possibly/maybe made by CVM when they bought the factory's back-catalogue in the early 1930s?

It's very complicated, this Murano malarkey.  ;D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:55:20 PM »
Oops, I meant MVM Cappellin & C., not Cappellin Venini & Co.

Luckily, I'm just talking to myself.  :thup:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:51:39 AM »
Soffiati can be so difficult. Most of it that I have owned has not been signed. This is even true for much of the Venini soffiati. I looked through some of my Cappellin auction listings and could not find your bowl. However, I agree with you that it could have been made by them. I would expand the search time to include the 1930s, when soffiati was very popular. I really can't help any here, but I did want you to know you are not out there alone in the soffiati jungle. Most soffiati I have had I wasn't able to attribute for a couple of years after I sold it.   :'(
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 08:53:44 AM »
Thanks for taking a look.

The D&A page makes much of the 'flower' pontil mark on a few of the Cappellin pieces they're selling. Is this a known attribute of some Cappellin glass?

Just looking at the Pauly & C. website where they offer to look at, and hopefully identify, old Venetian glass. I'll pop them a photograph and a few details - hopefully they'll be able to help.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »
Well that was futile - Pauly sent me a cut/paste reply informing me of their current products.  :huh:

I shall try once more via direct email rather than their web form.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand