No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors ID help anyone?  (Read 7916 times)

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
Orrefors ID help anyone?
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:32:35 PM »
This vase reminds me of the ariel by Edvin Ohrstrom but its not I'm wondering if anyone knows it?  :thup:

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: Orrefors ID help anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:05:59 PM »
I´m reading ´W.(illy) Johansson´ there, perhaps ??? ...  :hi:
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »
I agree Willy Johansson for Orrefors......
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:14:08 AM »
Did Willy Johansson work for Orrefor?

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:38:13 AM »
Someone may know in depth better than I, but it is my understanding that he did some limited designs for them. It is also my understanding that his best known body of work, and the work I am familiar with, is for Hadeland of Norway.... I bought several early pieces (mid 50's) of his Hadeland work at an auction and learned about them, and him before I sold the pieces.  Here are some examples... His Hadeland pieces were signed WJ Hadeland and the last 2 digits of the year...

Craig

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 01:53:23 AM »
Craig:

Where did you find that Willy Johansson worked for Orrefors? I remember we talked about this before but I can't find the topic immediately.  Neither can I find that in any of the Orrefors or Scandinavian books I have, which all state that he worked full time for Hadeland for most of his life. It doesn't look his work very much, either.

Interestingly, Modernistglass.com, who are pretty reliable, describe one of the pieces they sold this way:

"It's Swedish art glass from the town of Orrefors. This one isn't signed but a couple of other pieces in this design that we have owned (one in the same jet black) were signed and/or stickered FA.W.Johansson Orrefors. "FA" in Swedish stands for "Firm". The firm of W.Johansson was a business that bought and sold glass. We're not sure if it was only from Orrefors or from other glass factories and studios as well. Its founder was, a former hairdresser named W Johansson. They had their own engravers and marked most of the pieces that they sold with signatures and stickers."

Shineyobjects: if you could provide the number of the bottom, then we could see if it matches anything in the Orrefors output.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:22:26 AM »
I may be mistaken in my memory, and I may be thinking of the other discussion and not remembering it correctly. That is why I said that someone may know in depth better than I.   :huh:

Craig

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 04:41:42 AM »
I have no idea what the CIS or C/S refers to, nor the PO or P0, although I wondered about "prototype".  For Orerfors to have a  full signature usually meant that it was a very limited edition - <50.  It is not marked EA (which had from 2 to 5 in the run), nor is it marked 'Unik" - a one off marking, so it seems it may have been made in a run of 20 to 50.  It is peculiar that it does not have a design number though.  Good luck with your research - a really nice bit.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 06:48:24 AM »
Did Orrefors have guest designers create limited editions? I haven't come across that in any of the books I've read. BTW, the biography of Johansson makes no mention of any time at Orrefors. Admittedly, the book is titled Willy Johansson og Hadeland Glassverk, but that reflects the fact that he  worked only for Hadeland. I think the Modernistglass explanation, though perhaps it does not explain everything, is closer to the actual answer. 

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:27:59 AM »
I thought "Kosta(Boda)" as a first impression so I rather like your thought David.  Its markings are unlike any other Orrefors pieces I have come across.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand