No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors ID help anyone?  (Read 7931 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Orrefors ID help anyone?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 06:37:55 PM »
Your vase is shown on page 117 of Scandinavian Glass Fire and Sea (in green), it appears there are quite a few possibilities for a maker including: Sea Glassbruk, Glimma Glasbruk and Skruf amongst others. Looks like it is Swedish but you may need to look for a labeled example..... :wsh:

Another vase along the same lines (no pun intended ;D): http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36249.0.html

John

Oh dear, not only did I not notice the signature.... Now I am confused. :huh:

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
Thanks guys, It's a tricky piece with no numbers. I've seen something like it but marked Jan Johansson? Now I can't work out the value of this piece. It's pretty tricky!

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fabulous-orrefors-johansson-pink-orange-swirl

Also, A link from live auctions this is by Jan Johansson the base has a similar design.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4785092

The problem is we see a W not a J.  :-\ Sorry to confuse you all and glass glassobsessed if only it was :(

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 08:58:20 PM »
Name is Walter Johansson, former hairdresser in Orrefors. He bought pieces from ie SEA, added a engraving or just his signature and sold it as his own.

He has NOTHING to do with THE Orrefors factory. Orrefors wanted him out of business but the name orrefors is not copyright protected.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 09:02:49 PM »
I will certainly not forget the story this time!!

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 09:07:17 PM »
PS, Orrefors is a village, and the factory is in the middle of that village. Approx 700 people are living there.

Orrefors comes from the word Orre which is a bird, seen on the sticker that Orrefors uses.

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 09:48:20 PM »
Thanks for that info I've found the vase on a forum 5th topic down.  It says the picture is from a Glimma glass museum when using google translate?

http://www.precisensan.com/antikforum/showthread.php?t=8311

Looks like it is by Sea as you said :)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 05:26:02 AM »
Thank you, Daniel. So,  information from Modernistglassdotcom was accurate after all.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 06:46:14 AM »
DEK is an abbreviation of Decorative Etching Kosta, which was a precursor to the Sea Glass Works in Kosta - is what I read in that thread.

Offline mbmb

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 07:39:26 AM »
Hi

Some confusion about Willy Johansson here, and no wonder really, as there were two of them – one in Norway, working exclusively for Hadeland, and another in Sweden, associated with Orrefors (though the wonderful hairdresser story was new to me too). Hadeland pieces are always signed Hadeland WJ. Pieces prior to 1961 will have the year added, and occasionally the glassblower’s initials as well (though not after 1954).

mbmb

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 07:43:35 AM »
Yes that is NOT the same person.
And the guy living in Orrefors had Walter as first name.

He bought from several companies not one company alone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand