No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date and id for tall blue Swedish vase  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
date and id for tall blue Swedish vase
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:44:15 PM »
bit off the beaten track for me - but stunning colour, and standing at 298mm/almost 12" - so couldn't resist it this morning.
Mould blown, and with very prominent optical moulding, and a very good 'ding'.        The simple label is shown in Pina, although I didn't see a similar vase in the book (or Bill Geary's for that matter) but guess I might have missed it.    Is it known who made pieces with this label - and can anyone give me please a guide to age.   Base wear might indicate perhaps 25- 45 years of age - but could certainly be more.   Thanks for looking. :)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: date and id for tall blue Swedish vase
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:57:50 PM »
thank you Nic. - so, Alstefors it is then  -  and a really attractive piece; with a good light behind the vase the colour is electrifying. :)    My first piece from this factory.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »
not good form I guess to put something different on the same thread - but just remarkable that not having seen this little sticker before, within a few days I've bumped into Alsterfors again.   Ruby ballons are two a penny, but amethyst, well........... :)          Will more than understand if the mods wish to move :)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 01:30:44 AM »
Paul:

Just checking. Does the label lead you to think that the second piece is made by Alsterfors? My take on the label is that it is a standard Swedish export label found on pieces from a few companies. Here's a similar one from a Boda piece. Of course, I could be wrong, and, even if I'm right it still could be Alsterfors.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:57:03 AM »
David - you could well be right, and I have got my what's it's in a twist.     From earlier comments, I had mistakenly thought that this little sticker was an indication of Alsterfors - oh gawd (my mis-interpretation)   Apologies to all then, and so it is just a Swedish piece from one of a number of possible factories - although still potentially Alsterfors.       A little knowledge is a dangerous thing as they say. :-[  thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand