No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Deco unusual miners/ice men centrepiece bowl for a swap?  (Read 6762 times)

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Deco unusual miners/ice men centrepiece bowl for a swap?
« on: October 19, 2010, 05:58:15 PM »
Hi everyone I have this rare and unusual Art Deco glass centrepiece bowl decorated with miners picking through icy caverns.The central insert also has miners.
I am wanting a swap for Walther pieces I am currently looking to add to my collection.
I am happy to provide a list of my wants for anyone who is interested.feel free to get in touch.
Best wishes Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Re: Deco unusual miners/ice men centrepiece bowl for a swap?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »
Hi again
I will be listing this set and am open to offers as I will put it on a buy it now.
Best wishes Nige

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 01:53:25 AM »
Hi Nigel

I saw this piece in opalescent at a glass fair today. Unfortunately it's not for sale :(

Do you still have this set in your collection?

Cheers
Dylan

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 04:08:33 AM »
Hi Dylan
I knew they had made this in opalescent as I had seen it on an auction site in the US a couple of years ago but it had sold.
No I sold mine a while ago.
I always wondered as it was opalescent if it was made by either Reich or Inwald.
Was the set you saw in 2 or 3 pieces?
A friend of mine has it in frosted amber as a 3 piece set.
I would love in opalescent!
Best wishes Nige

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 05:49:48 AM »
Hi there. It was a 3 piece set. The bowl, the centrepiece and a normal flower frog sitting inside the centrepiece. The colour looks very similar to the angel bowl made by Reich.

I've been told by a trader that there was a cloud glass version of the polar bear (owned by a collector here in South Australia), therefore I do believe the polar bear is also made by Reich as not many glass maker made cloud glass as well as opalescent.

I will post a photo of the centrepiece on my facebook page (group) just in case you're interested.

Cheers and have a good weekend
Dylan

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »
Hi Dylan
Wow a cloud glass Polar bear that sounds interesting and as you say cloud glass does point towards Reich.I know Walther,Davidsons,Brockwitz and Reich all did cloud glass.The quality of the Polar bear set does look very Reich and the green colour is their typical green.
I once bought the opalescent angel bowl from USA for a really cheap price but the seller didn't pack well at all and it arrived smashed which was a real shame.I have had that angel bowl in amber,green and blue.
I received yesterday a gorgeous centrepiece from Oz a lovely frog on mound in float bowl the bowl is stunning!
Did you get to take any pics of the opalescent miners bowl?
I picked up another Mckee danse de Lumiere lamp but in pink.
Nige

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 11:22:01 PM »
Hello again

I did try to post a picture of the miners float bowl here in this post but unsuccessful. Do you want me to post it in your facebook page or actually I have the picture on my site at:-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/207964895883191/

I have also got the Elves bowl and the angel bowl (square version) in opalescent. Feels free to join in.

Thanks for sharing the pic of the miners float bowl in gorgeous amber colour.  The frog looks unusual. Do you know what is the hole in the centre for?? Is it for another piece of glass figure sitting on top??

Cheers
Dylan

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »
Hi Dylan
Those photos are stunning was it just an exhibition? I take it nothing was for sale?
I have a photo somewhere that was sent to me a couple of years ago of a similar stall that had an amber koalas on the stall and the green Viktoria,I have a feeling it belongs to a gay couple from Oz they had some lovely pieces.
I personally think that amber frog in the pic I posted doesn't go with that set.There should be a dove type bird fixed on top....I have the same bird as a pin dish would you like a pic then you will know what to look for?
That opalescent miners bowl I would give my left arm for lol
The blue Paradies is lovely I have the same in pink,my green and blue ones only have the Berlin bowl on.
I love the Arabella lamps,did I tell you I know of a collector that has the amber one with Madonna in? He also tells me he has seen Luna lamps for sale but pricey but I asked him if he sees any to let me know as price isn't a problem.
I like Reich opalescent glass its a nice thick colour I used to have that elves bowl in opalescent,also had it in green and pink and clear and plain frosted.
I mainly collect amber and pink glass now but if I see something good in any colour I will buy it (hence the green Viktoria).
You must have a lovely colection now and I am sure you are proud of it well done Dylan!
Nige

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
Hi Nigel

Thanks for your reply. A picture of the dove bird you mentioned would be nice. There are so many pieces out there that I have not seen before. The miners centrepiece was not for sale. Just for display. They have got some other glassware for sale, but not the type of glass I collect.

As far as I'm concerned, I only knew a couple (married) who owned the Viktoria comport in green. They live in the country Victoria and they have quite a large collection of glassware too. I have now got 2 paradies with correct pelican bowl, 2 paradies with berlin bowl and I'm waiting to find another green berlin bowl to complete the set.

I bought a non uranium green elves bowl recently from a shop and a pink one off eBay. These days I only buy something that I don't have or something that I like. I will still stick to my regular colours, green, pink and blue, but I really don't mind having that miners float bowl in any colours. lol. Its getting harder to find those rarer pieces. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a pink koala vase by Bagley for nearly $900. Too pricey, so have to give that a miss. Would prefer a green one though or a spectacular Pierette clock :)

Cheers now
Dylan

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »
Hi Dylan
Wow you certainly find some great pieces in Oz it goes to show that there was a lot exported there in the 30s.Certain pieces seem to pop up over there more than here such as Koalas vase,Haarlem,Viktoria etc
I still have some green Walther I will sell/swap and I will probably do that with the green Viktoria in time.Still have pink and blue Arabella lamps and blue Viktoria available but by the looks of things they're stuck with me.lol
Here is a pic of the amber pin dish I have and that bird goes on top of that flower frog with the rocks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand