Author Topic: date request for probable C19 weight.  (Read 424 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
date request for probable C19 weight.
« on: October 19, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »
first thing I bought in the cold and dark on Sunday morning - threw it into the rucksack - and then forgot it until today :spls:
Looking at the style of clothing (can I see a 'bustle' on one of the women) - plus the style of push chair/pram  -  it looks more mid C19 than later, but I'm really only guessing.     The picture is a paper label of sorts that is stuck to the underside, and there are some minor scratches on the glass.     Dia. is something like 2.5/16"/57mm.
The full title of the picture is..."Kimberley Terrace & Esplanade, Gt. Yarmouth"  (this is Norfolk in the UK). 
It seems genuine  -  but is it mid or late C19?   Thanks for looking.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: date request for probable C19 weight.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:39:02 PM »
Kimberley terrace wasn't finished until 1849, so I would say late 19th, if it is period and not 19th C

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 07:57:05 PM »
thanks for your thoughts  -  must admit the road doesn't look very 'finished' (can't see the street lighting;))  -  but it's a nice little curio, and certainly to be kept. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:08:11 PM »
I forgot to ask Christine - how were able to reply so quickly about the history of Kimberley Terrace :)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • My Paperweights Website
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:32:49 PM »
I don't know about Christine's source, but putting the words ' Kimberley, Terrace, Great, and Yarmouth' into the magic Google device comes up (within milliseconds) with links that spell out the history of the development of the town....including Kimberley Terrace.

:sun:

Alan
Alan
The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton. Please feel free to contact me direct if you do not agree with my comments and do not wish to make your concerns known by posting in this thread.
 http://www.pwts.co.uk

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 06:18:14 AM »
 ;) works a treat Alan. (I might be from Norfolk, but my knowledge isn't that good.)

And I should have said "not 20th century." I also wouldn't take such a sketch too literally, especially as the Britannia Monument is a mile away down towards the harbour and not just at the end of the terrace. You'd be hard put to see it from there.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com