No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: large lilac opaline translucent mould blown vase - Italian? Bohemian maybe?  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: large lilac opaline translucent mould blown vase - Italian? Bohemian maybe?
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:23:43 AM »
Possible it is but likely it is not...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: large lilac opaline translucent mould blown vase - Italian? Bohemian maybe?
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 10:05:32 AM »
thank you Ivo  :)  This is the piece I saw that prompted my enquiry

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vallerysthal-Pressed-Purple-Milk-Glass-Squirrel-Acorn-/330596799124?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2493197737214822993

- looks more opalescent than mine, but the colour seemed very similar so I just thought it might be worth an ask.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Just bumping this one again if I may   (I know... I'm asking too many questions at the moment  ;D sorry)
I just picked it up tonight and had another look at it and noticed there is a ridge around the bottom of the foot - I think it is noticeable on the last picture I put on where it's on a black background.
Probably no help at all lol but I just wondered if it had any significance other than being part of the mould or a design feature.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I wonder if it could be Hoyerswerda.  I have seen similar in opaque blue, in pea green and in milk - opal isn't that far off then...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks, that looks like a real possible looking at your larger green vase here, certainly the foot looks 'shaped' as opposed to just a smooth curve - http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,44374.msg247249.html#msg247249
When I said it has a ridge round the foot I meant groove I think, it's has a fine indented line around it right before it curves in to the base.  Does yours have that?
Does your green vase have a neat concentric circles mould type base? and how heavy is it - this one weighs 1 3/4kg or 3 3/4lb and is 10" tall (25.5cm). The rim thickness is 4.5mm or 3/16".
And are the green vases translucent- this one is dense glass and colour but is still translucent.  It has the bluey purpley look to it in different lights.  Looking at the base under very strong lighting you can see a 'swirl' effect in the colour of white mixed with purple - if it were stronger the base would look like purple malachite effect  if you know what I mean.
m

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
There is a large vase with this same violet opalescent look in a mall 30 miles from me & in very faded block letters in black you can barely make out GERMANY, but its there.   

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Just measured these and the height comes out as strictly metric: 19, 21, 17.5 cm.
The colours are swirly, sometimes more than others and apparently heat reactive: one of them has a lighter edge where it was sheared off.
The edges are cut and polished just like yours. They are opaque but light will shine through, and the base is hollow.
I have one in pale blue as well, with all the same properties. Just don't ask me for a picture LOL.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you both. Ken that's good to have another confirmation for a vase in the same colour.
Ivo, I think they share  the same qualities, although you can actually only see mine is swirly if you look under strong light on the base, the rest of the vase is even.  Your photos are great.  I think especially looking at the larger vase, it's a very good match, so I would go with Hoyerswerda for mine.  It would be good to find some more information on them, but at least the range is expanding colour and shape wise now.
Looking at their range of items (Dirk has the yellow handled bowl) they have quite a utilitarian look to them don't they, they're quite 'sturdy' pieces ( although I think the lavender is quite glamorous of course  :))
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand