No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: probable Bagley bowl.  (Read 844 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
probable Bagley bowl.
« on: September 01, 2021, 01:35:53 PM »
taking a chance this is Bagley  -  parted with my book a long time back and Bagley not a factory I would normally collect  -  so fingers crossed.        Lacks any indication of a pattern No. or any other marks  -  max. diameter of top rim is about 9 inches (c. 23 cms.) and height something like 3.5 inches (c. 8.5 cms.).             Used to see a fair amount from this glass house  -   posy rings, horseshoe rings and various other small posy-sized pieces  -  especially the black glass with white polka dots  -   and the odd satin finish uranium glass, but still waiting to find the Koala Bear.       Get the feeling this one could be one of the largest bowls they did, and assume I'm missing the flower support/frog.            thanks for looking. :)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: probable Bagley bowl.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 05:31:49 PM »
I think it's actually a Davidson one shown here on P.7  No.34.

https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/glass_catalogues/davidsonglass_catalogues/davidsonglass_catalogue1940.htm

I've just read in the 4th. edition Bagley book they applied a hot transfer printed decoration and I think Davidson did the same on black glass. If you hold it up to the light you'll probably find your bowl is a deep magenta colour.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 09:06:43 PM »
thanks Nev  -  wouldn't surprise me at all to have the attribution wrong  -  for some reason I have this feeling that Bagley did the shiny black stuff and Davidson did the satin matt sort of finish (and I do have some Davidson black pieces with that finish).         
I do remember we spoke some years back about the deep magenta/purple colour when held to a strong light  -  I've done same with this piece and seems absolutely not translucence  -  not a peek of purple or magenta, just pure black  -  am I doing something wrong do you think.   thanks.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 07:43:06 AM »
There are some Davidson black glass pieces online with the shiny finish, some with transfers. Your bowl isn't in the Bagley 4th. edition and the downturned rim is a common Davidson shape. I've checked the black plinths I've got and I have to look through the base directly at a light bulb to see the colour, even then it's difficult to see on one of them. I think I read somewhere "there's no such thing as black glass".
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 08:12:02 AM »
thanks  -  yes, I seem to recall the expression "no such thing as black glass".           Ordinarily, black was achieved by the inclusion of shed loads of manganese, plus the fact that presumably as glass becomes thicker translucence decreases until at some point all transmitted light ceases -  have to say this bowl, like it's owner, is fairly thick.           I think there is some mention of iron filings being used to achieve 'black', but how successful this was on larger pieces I've no idea.        I will try peering through the glass, again, and see if a stronger light source will do the trick.
Looking at your 'page 7' it's possible than I'm missing only the frog, as I can't see No. 34 sitting on one of those circular plinths  -  though seem to think I have a spare somewhere which might do temporarily.

If you feel confident that the bowl here is Davidson that's fine, and I'll request Anne (Mod.) to change my subject heading, and again thanks for the correction.       Just for interest, and comparison, I'll post a couple of pieces of Davidson's matt black bowl 'sets' later today.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 08:35:24 AM »
Or as Father Ted might say - very very very very very very very very dark magenta.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 08:46:47 AM »
 ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 11:00:58 AM »
These I believe are Davidson - the smaller three piece set with ribbed bowl could well be some variation on factory pattern 1910 from the catalogue in Nev's link taken from 20th Century Glass site.           The larger two piece set doesn't seem to appear in this 1940s catalogue, so no idea of a pattern No. and I'm assuming it's an earlier design but that is somewhat of a guess - it has what might be thought of as a more deco shape.           Both are satin/matt finish and the colourant could well be manganese  -  deep purple can be seen in transmitted light through some of the thinner sections of the flower dome, though not through the walls of the bowls.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand