No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight paperweight??  (Read 2533 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Isle of Wight paperweight??
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:59:50 AM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Isle of Wight paperweight??
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »
Does it have any mark in the blob of glass over the pontil scar? Has it actually been flattened as if something with a logo was pressed into it?
Is it only silver foil in the glass, or is there gold too?
Does the blue come from finely powdered enamels being incorporated onto the first gather?

Folk do sometimes confuse the IoWSG flame logo with the Strathearn one of a leaping salmon.

However, this just doesn't look right to me. It seems a bit...... crude for IoWSG. Might be because I can't get a lot of extra detail in the images.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:55:08 PM »
Hi Chris,
I really don't think this is IOWSG - it is very different from their style, colours and method of making such things in my opinion.
As to what it is, I'm afraid I can't help, but I don't think there's more than a decade or so's age to it...
Mark
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »
The flame mark is usually fairly distinctive, it is quite heavily stamped. Here is an example: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-13346

Of the sixteen bits I have here with flame marks only one is badly stamped and indistinct, luckily it's a distinctive colour and shape: http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyIsleOfWightStudioGlass#5429990465277648210

John

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:07:56 PM »
I think for this one, dusting the base with talc then carefully wiping off the raised parts should show the stamp (if it is one) well enough for a straight-on photo view. That should help to get a better idea of things.
KevinH

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments, just Silver inclusions the blue is not a solid colour can see through it, Sue it must be my lack of photographic skills :-[ it's actually quite well made with good definition. Mark your book is on my Christmas list thanks for your input.  John and Kev added some more base photos definitely a squiggle  going on :sun: Definitely see the logo on the other one, then again I sold a pink swirled vase and it was very hard to make out on that too.
List it as unknown maker (another)  :)
cheers Chris

http://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/IOWBase#
Ps did the later ones have a flat polished base? saw a nice black and gold one today but refrained

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 05:38:01 PM »
Yes, flat polished bases on most (if not all) IoW stuff from early 1980s to present.

Chris, to get close up photos in focus look for the macro setting on your camera (usually a button with a small flower icon), this will allow the camera to focus from a few inches away to a foot or two. Check in your camera's manual, if you have lost it most can be downloaded from t'internet.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 06:00:45 PM »
And for even better images, if there's an "s" beside the flower, use that. But don't have the camera more than a foot away.

I have one Azurene pwt, signed by MH. It is not cased at all. I'm not sure if this is the normal case or not, given i have very little interest in pwts. Most Azurene bits are not cased. (unless they are Fish vases - and then, only partially cased, by the "wings").
Sometimes Azurene is fumed to give an iridescent sheen.

Have you thought about joining the IoWSG forum, or contacting the studio directly for all your IoWSG queries?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 07:46:22 PM »
There is more tumbleweed than there are posts on that IoW forum....

Much cosier here, where you can warm yourself by the light of all sorts of interesting glass.

John

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
Hi John, after searching through the menu convinced  my camera's not got it on. Sought advice from my son, " it's the button with the flower symbol on the front of the camera" he replies, dohhhh, so will try again tomorrow armed with my new found knowledge of camera's  :pb:
Hi Sue, since I stopped concentrating mainly on Whitefriars, need a bit of help now and again, mainly to keep listing descriptions as accurate as possible, so from time to time I post glass items on here. Don't really feel like I need to go anywhere else. Mdina and IoW knowledge should hopefully improve in the New Year :-[
cheers Chris

Edit... Just what I meant John ;) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand