No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help required with valuation of a couple of paperweights  (Read 8533 times)

Offline gemstars

• Members
Help required with valuation of a couple of paperweights
« on: October 23, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I've been given a couple of paperweights to sell for charity and I was hoping you might be able to help me find out what sort of price I can expect to get for them.

They're both in, what is as far as I can tell, their original box and have a certificate.

The first is a Caithness Glass paperweight, called Sunflare, designed by Colin Terris and is edition number 601 of 3000.

The second is by Perthshire Paperweights LTD. The certificate says "This weight is one of a limited issue containing a series of complex millifiori canes which enclose a cruciform design. This edition will consist of 350 pieces only with the 1978 date. Certificate no 112"

I'd be grateful for any advice you can give me about the value of these paperweights.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Help required with valuation of a couple of paperweights
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:26:05 PM »
For Caithness there is the "Charlton Catalogue" by Colin Terris, published in 2004, giving original prices and a guesstimate of the value in 2004.
Of Sunflare actually only 1387 were made (not the planned 3000) - sold in 1978 for £ 27 and estimated in 2004 at £ 55; these estimates have to be considered to be a bit optimistic, however, in the days of ebay. A rule of thumb for limited modern (abstract) designs could be 50%., i.e. close to the original price.

Perthshire is more tricky - no similar compilation. From your description I would assume it to be either PP33, PP34 or PP35: an image would be helpful! Unfortunately I don't have the 1978 catalogue/prices - but PP35 was still available in 1980 and was sold for £ 54. Perthshire weights usually do relatively better than Caithness nowadays. PP33...35 have usually fetched between £ 150 and £ 250, exceptions slightly over £ 300 on ebay during the last couple of years.

TALKING OF PERTHSHIRE CATALOGUES: Does anyone out there own Perthshire catalogues (with or without price lists) pre 1980? If you do, I would appreciate to hear from you for Scotland's Glass.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline gemstars

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 10:08:50 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for replying so quickly, I've uploaded a photo of the Perthshire Paperweight.

http://yourimagehost.com/is.php?i=44334&img=Perthshire_Pape.jpg

If this affects the estimate you'd given could you please let me know? Also, can anyone now tell me which model this paperweight is? Is model the right word?

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »
It's a PP34 design (I'd rather use 'design' instead of 'model').
The price will not be much affected as all 3 weights I had mentioned were the same size and similar complexity - just reduces the number of auctions in my notes to 3 - resulting in a price between £150 and £ 240.

To come back to your Caithness weight - there is also an online price guide with two entries for Sunflare - selling on ebay for £ 40 and £ 14 respectively - on average £ 27 - see my guesstimate  ;D. The 'problem' with ebay being that you always need two potential buyers being really interested in the weight you are selling to get a good price.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline gemstars

• Members

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:33:57 AM »
Disappointing  :cry:
Not a single word mentioning GMB as source of your information?!? A lot of helpful people here sharing their knowledge... :wsh:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 10:20:07 AM »
And no mention that you are selling them for charity, or so you said.  :o :o

There is an option to create charity listings on ebay.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Hi Wuff!  :hi:

Next time I go to Crieff I'll go to Cornelian Crafts and ask if there are any catalogues for Perthshire glass. The lady who runs it - and also makes some really lovely fused glass things - is the widow of the last owner of Perthshire. I'm sure her name is Alison Drysdale, but I can't find her card right now to check.  :-[

It might be a wee while before I'm taken again - I was there on Saturday.

Gemstars, I think you've upset us a bit. We don't do valuations - they're fairly arbitrary, and we're intrerested in the glass here, not prices.
The only reason you were assisted in this way was because you said you were selling it for charity.
The lack of polite acknowledgement of the help you had from folk here - and also of the charity you say you are helping in your listing, is rather rude. And a bit suspicious.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 01:45:20 AM »

The only reason you were assisted in this way was because you said you were selling it for charity.
The lack of polite acknowledgement of the help you had from folk here - and also of the charity you say you are helping in your listing, is rather rude. And a bit suspicious.

Rather rude, is being polite..... and.....

Personally I do not think it is a bit suspicious, as it appears to me after looking at the listings, that the charity line was just that... a line....

and I would just add, as an after thought "Help required with valuation of a couple of paperweights"  Would probably read much better as "Help requested with valuation of a couple of paperweights", as nothing on here is really required..... with the exception of the help of very knowledgeable people to get answers to questions....

Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline gemstars

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 08:52:23 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am sorry, I didn't realise you would have wanted me to mention this website, if anyone had of said they wanted a plug I would have been happy to assuming it's not against ebays rules.

As far the charity thing, I'm very dissapointed you have assumed the worst of me.

The items I'm selling are for charity. As well as doing a full time job I volunteer in a charity shop about 10 to 12 hours a week. These items were a donation to the shop, so was Fred the flour man I listed a few months ago if you can still see that.

The reason the charity is not mentioned is because the charity does have an official ebay site and each shop is supposed to send anything that's worth going on ebay to a central place to be processed. However, the things we send tend to 'get damaged' or 'go missing' an awful lot, so much so that we have our doubts as to whether this is the truth, and my shop manager is so tired of it that we've decided I'll sell the stuff and put the money through as an anonymous donation. At least that way we're sure the charity is getting the best out of the donations.

I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to convince you, all I have is my word.

Wuff - saying as you're the one that provided the required/requested (delete as appropriate  :thup:) help, I'd like to convince you if I can, is there anything I can do to alleviate your concerns?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand