No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dent Glass, Cumbria  (Read 7705 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Dent Glass, Cumbria
« on: October 24, 2010, 04:58:53 PM »
Anyone have info on them please

Set up by engraver Richard Hugo in 1960s

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Dent Glass, Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:58:54 AM »
In the 1960s (in fact up to 1974) Dent wasn't in Cumbria it was in Yorkshire (Cumbria was only formed in 1974).   :-*
Richard Hugo is still around and has a Flickr stream showing some of his glass here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhugo/sets/72157617514456703/with/4133437591/ - you should also be able to contact him via his Flickr account. 

Your dates for him at Dent seem a little out as he states that "These items were made when I was working for Dent Glass circa mid 70's, the company I later owned."

I *think* from the comments on his photos that he's still living in the Kendal area so could try and track him down locally if needed Frank.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:19:04 AM »
Thanks Anne. I don't particularly want to sign up for Yahoo but no matter as he gave his dates at ECA and it does seem he no longer works in glass. It might be interesting to get more history on Dent Glass but wrong side of the border for me so someone alse can follow up - looks like they did interesting work. Richard studied engraving and that shows in his art.

Offline r.hugo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:42:54 AM »
Hello.

You were looking for information about me and Dent Glass.
I have registered with glassmessages to enable you to talk to me if you still wish

Richard Hugo.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:27:15 PM »
Richard, welcome to the board, and yes we'd love to know more about your work please.  :hiclp: Are you still based in the south Cumbria area and are you working with glass still?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 07:21:37 PM »
Hi Richard,

If you could check and expand your entry here it would be much appreciated. Also if you can recall any other names that were at ECA at the same time as you.

Offline r.hugo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:41:09 AM »
I joined Dent Glass in 1971 straight from Ediburgh College of Art. It was set up before I got there to be a glass cutting shop under the umbrella of a company called Heredities Ltd, makers of cold cast bronzes, however this fell through and the idea of glass engraving by sandblasting was mooted and this is where I came in.

At first there were just two of us trying to set up a bespoke engraving service using the retail outlets in use by Heredities. This ultimately proved un profitable as hand worked items cost too much retailed in this way. So the move was made into the world of mail-order. After 18 months I took over the running of the slowly developing company under the guidance of Timothy Abel-Smith the MD of Heredities. We built up a very good system, using hand cut masks and a small nozzled sandblating unit with each stage broken down so that I could teach/train local young people to do the separate parts of the work. The mail order system worked well as there were no middle men and we were also able to make use of the Heredities salesmen to gain larger orders (one such was 4800 goblets for BAT).

When the engraving was pottering along well we decided to try and set up a glassblowing studio as the area had a good tourist base. This I did, though the furnace was not the greatest and ate gas. I got in touch with John Lawrie at EC of A and we arranged for students to come in the summer and work the studio, some fun was had by all involved.

Later the company moved to Kirkby Stephen and eventually Heredities decided to pull out in 1982 and I took it on as a one man band in Kendal, engraving only. I had many interesting customers and recipients of my work, ranging from the Queen and other members of her family, through the likes of Spike Milligan and the Greater London Council.

Adversrse trading conditions forced me to close in 1989 and since then I have been out of the glass world

I hope this has been of help

Richard Hugo

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 12:54:52 PM »
Richard thank you so much for adding your info. Can I ask some questions of you please...

1. Were the items you created as a glassmaker all signed or marked?

2. Did you and your assistant sign or mark your engraved items? If so, how?

3. Where in Kendal did you work after you moved from Kirkby Stephen? (I live nearby and I'm trying to recall if I saw you then.)

Can I also say that I really love your vases and especially the knobbly bowl here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhugo/sets/72157617514456703/with/4134198750/

Offline r.hugo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 02:30:27 PM »
Hello again,

When we had the glassblowing, we never signed, or marked the work produced.

All the engraved glass was usually signed by the individual who either, cut the mask or worked the whole piece. We tended to use diamond tipped hand engraving tools for this. Pieces were marked under the foot or under the base of the piece.

When working here in Kendal I was based on Dockray Hall trading estate.

I took photographs of many of the engraved pieces and have a store of negatives unprinted, which I keep meaning to scan.

Again I hope this has been of help

Richard Hugo.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 06:42:40 PM »
Thanks Richard, that's useful to know. I vaguely remember someone at Dockwray Hall T/E as I used to pop into Edmondson's down there from time to time, but sadly I don't think I ever visited you.

If you need help with scanning negatives please drop me a line as we have a scanner that can handle these if you can't do them yourself. I'm not far away from you still.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand