No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Millefiori closepack "JB France" - who is this?  (Read 6787 times)

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
Millefiori closepack "JB France" - who is this?
« on: October 25, 2010, 02:29:58 PM »
Any one know more about the maker of this weight?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140465932968

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Re: millefioi maker to be identified.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 04:53:20 PM »
Wow, Andy, it's not often a weight  :huh: you! ;)  It's a pretty piece of eye candy that's for sure.  I cannot add anything to your quest to know more.  The only thing I can say is that my very first thought without reading your post was Drew Ebelhare!  Perhaps the information on the weight is referring to an establishment rather than a specific artist.

Just a thought or two ..... Lily :huh:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 12:40:13 PM »
A good thought Lily. Could have been from Drew's early transitional period when he was moving away from the bright Italian colors into his St. Louis period. So, I wrote Drew and asked him - but the weight is not his.  I wrote to a former Baccarat worker who is now making weights privately and asked him and he thought some of the canes kind of looked like Baccarat but he had no definitive idea. A lot of people have viewed the post but no one seems to have any thoughts. I suspect that the key cane to help with the ID is the red rose and its coloration - I've seen it before but can't place it although my current thought is St. Louis. It also looks like there is an intital or signature cane off at about 9 o'clock, but the large image is still unclear. Travis bought the weight and I've asked him to weigh in on the discussion.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »
It would be good if Travis can provide us with some close-ups of the canes in this weight. There are several distinctive elements.

I also thought that the "9 o'clock-ish" cane might have a letter. And the more I look at it with enlargement, it does seem to show a "misshapen letter cane" quite like some of the various "H" canes of the Hansen family, as illustrated in that book ... what was it called ... oh yes ... The Dictionary of Paperweight Signature Canes. :) But were there any Hansen weights of this style and size???
KevinH

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I wa the underbidder on this weight, was away and only had cellphone access - not much you can see on a cell, so I didn't make a big bid.

Could it be by Jim Brown?

The setting of the canes is a bit too uneven for a modern Baccarat or SL imho.

It's a weird weight with canes resembling several makers. I do wish it had been better described with a picture of the base.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
Has anyone considered Jim Hart?

The orange is very similar to his 2005 canes

Roy

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
Too high in the dome and too wide for a Jim Hart. Also Jim uses Murano canes to make his complex canes (other than his roses) and although the pictures are not that great, they don't look like Murano millefiori components to me.

Not enough translucence for an early Jim Brown, although it's not a bad thought.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 04:40:11 PM »
I was watching this weight too and wondered...

Like Roy, Jim Hart came to my mind (and the sig cane seemed an H to me...).

Alpha - I am curious about the baccarat worker who makes weights privately. Is it possible to see his work somewhere? Where does he sell?

SophieB

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »
It seems there is another rose (pink) just to the right of the distinctive eight-petal flower.  Is that a pansy just above the salmon/red rose that is such a mystery?  If this is a Jim Hart, he has been holding out on us!!!!!  Personally, I do not believe he is the artist of this particular beauty.

Lily

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 05:20:37 PM »
Former Baccarat worker: Gilles Gicquel :
http://www.gilles-gicquel.fr/portrait.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia