No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Millefiori closepack "JB France" - who is this?  (Read 6774 times)

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: millefioi maker to be identified.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
Hi Lily,

I don't necesary think that the weight is Jim Hart's, only that I was reminded of his work when I first saw the weight (I wonder about Drew Ebelhare, too - I definitely lack originality of thought :pb:).

Alpha - Many thanks for the link. I had never heard of him but I like his weights. I may investigate further next time I am home.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »
I noticed the pansy like canes as well and thought of Parabelle, but I associate P with a higher level of quality in setting and cutting.

Could this be a collection canes from various makers brought together on comission?

Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sageandsolitudeglass

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »
This weight has me stumped!  I do believe the canes are all from one factory or artist, too many repeats.  I'm wondering/hoping if we have a new artist making paperweights?  I will be happy to take many photos to aid in the identification of this weight.  I asked the seller what he knew, and he said "just below it says JB France, I know nothing more" , so I'm wondering if the base has JB France stamped or etched on the bottom.  I'll send pictures as soon as it arrives.  Travis Chaudoir

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 08:54:20 PM »
I think there are a number of us who would absolutely love to be right there with you when you open the box!!!!!  Can't wait til you see this weight in person and are able to post more photos along with your observations!

Til then ..... Lily  ;D

Offline sageandsolitudeglass

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
Well it's here, but the pics I took are too high in quality for the message board.  Email me at travischaudoir AT yahoo DOT com and I'll send some good photos.  The weight is acid etched on the bottom "Cristal JB France", and the possible sig cane is just blurred enough that it may or may not be a sig cane.   Really nice work, it seems strange that such nice cane work has not been seen around at some point.  Hopefully someone knows more.   Travis

Mod: email address anti-spammed.

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 12:02:53 AM »
Here are links to two pictures -

http://tinypic.com/r/2hclyqp/7

http://tinypic.com/r/2ptqt0i/7

And here's the "signature cane" - which on closer review doesn't look like a signature cane at all. Looks more like either cullet on the cane or shadows coming through clear glass when the photo was taken.

Offline Rocksmom

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »
A quick Google search turned up several crystal items by "Cristal JB", primarily lamp bases & candlesticks.  It seems to me Cristal JB may be a company, not necessarily a single artist.   It may be an angle to persue in trying to identify the maker.  It's a lovely weight, and I'm hoping there are others out there still to be found!

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 07:05:05 PM »
Dear all,

After a google search, on Cristal JB France: it would seem that the signature JB France may belong to Jean-Baptiste Sibertin Blanc who is artistic director for DAUM. He is a designer and not a glassmaker. Before working for Daum, he had his own design studio. He would not have made the paperweight himself but may have commissioned it.

http://fr.linkedin.com/pub/sibertin-blanc-jean-baptiste/7/7a0/231

Of course, it could be the wrong Jean-Baptiste altogether. It is a fairly common first name in France.

If we are still in the dark I am happy to try and investigate next time I am there.

SophieB

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Millefiori closepack "JB France" - who is this?
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 12:00:10 AM »
More photos, on behalf of Travis (stored for posterity in an Album in my "KevH" gallery in the Glass Queries Gallery).

Top view
Side view
Base view

I am also preparing images for each individual cane. More soon.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum