No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: German red jug, Gangkofner?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
German red jug, Gangkofner?
« on: November 04, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »
There are four reasons I think it's by Alois Gangkofner for Hessen glas, but I'm hoping Dirk or Oliver can confirm:

- I bought it of the same seller I bought a confirmed Gangkofner piece in neurot within 2 weeks (but she couldn't remember whether she bought them together)
- The colour is exactly the same as the other red vase
- While the exact shape isn't shown on Oliver's Gangkofner website, the style of the handle and the rim look quite similar to some Gangkofner jugs
- There is a Made in West Germany label on it that might also be on some Hessen Glas vases, but since these aren't shown in close up, it would be nice to have confirmation

It's 21.5 cm high, 3.5 cm wide across the rim, and 8 cm across the base.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: German red jug, Gangkofner?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »
Hi,
I have a HG vase with that very label, the colour looks like their ´neurot´. Unfortunately the Gangkofner book
does not show this special design, but perhaps Oliver will know more?
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Oliver

• Members
    • History and products of the bohemian glass industry at Oberursel, Germany
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 10:11:16 AM »
Hi Astrid,

I just discovered this topic today. Indeed your piece looks similar to Hessenglas/Gangkofner but size and shape & handle are a bit different.

The HG/Gangkofner pitcher is 23.5 cm high, 5 cm wide across the rim, and 10 cm across the base.

This "Made in Germany" sticker was indeed used by "Kristallglas GmbH Oberursel" and "Hessenglas GmbH". But even the HG-Logo was already copied in Japan in the early 60s.

Here an original Gangkofner-piece from my database.

Greetings from Oberursel,

Oliver

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 10:03:50 AM »
Thanks Oliver, I'm disappointed that it can't be confirmed. I'm a bit confused about your remark about labels being copied by Japanese. So far I assumed that if a label said 'Made in West Germany' and a vase was purchased in Germany on a carboot sale, that I could assume the origin was correct.

And stylistically I couldn't place it at another German factory than the ones mentioned on your website. Do you know of any German factories that were more than usually inspired by Gangkofner designs and used exactly the same colour of glass as the neurot?

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 10:11:13 AM »
I made a picture of both of them together to show that they are really alike in colour and style... These two were purchased from the same seller, who acquired them at the same time.

Offline Oliver

• Members
    • History and products of the bohemian glass industry at Oberursel, Germany
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 01:05:03 PM »
Hello Astrid,

Gangkofner cooperated with Lamberts and Peil & Putzler too. He also was teacher at the glass-academy at Zwiesel, Bavaria. I would suggest that there were some products similar to Hessenglas-versions created by Gangkofner. Lamberts and Zwiesel should have been able to create a similar red.

Here you can find the champagne-coloured jug on the first picture first row (I think it definitely has a different shape from your red one).

http://kristallglas-oberursel.net/Text/ProdukteHessenglas_Gangkofner.html

Nevertheless, congratulations to your Gangkofner Vase on the left. Perfect example!
The nice Gangkofner book only shows a small selection (by Ilsebill Gangkofner) of his work. Next week I'll make some more pictures and put them to my web-museum.

I don't believe the Asian copies were sold to Germany; but I know from copies produced for the American market with the "HG"-label on it. I have no knowledge of Asian "Made in Germany"-labels so.

Tschüss, Oliver
---
www.kristallglas-oberursel.net

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 02:16:22 PM »
Thanks Oliver, I noticed on your website that this particular shape wasn't shown, though some of the handles on other jugs are similar, and the angle of the rim varies slightly as well. But I agree it could have been made for another factory, or designed by someone inspired by Gangkofner's work.

I'll put it down as German piece of glass for now without further attribution. If you ever come across this jug in a different context (for instance with more labels on it), I'd be happy to hear about it.

Astrid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand