No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness weights: lampwork attributions?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline petern00

• Members
Caithness weights: lampwork attributions?
« on: October 27, 2010, 11:37:54 AM »
If not 'the bible', Colin Terris's 'Caithness Paperweights' is usually the first port of call for collectors identifying weights from Caithness.  The information provided in this excellent resource includes the designer for each piece.  

At this site, however, some of the images of Caithness lampwork weights carry attributions for both designer and lampworker.  Where has this information come from?  Is there another 'catalogue' or resource that gives this (and/or other) level(s) of detail?

Cheers

Peter 
Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Caithness weights: lampwork attributions?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:49:53 PM »
Hi Peter,

I am not sure but it may be because it is indicated on the certificate which comes with the weight. Or may be she was told that it had been done by somebody specific e.g. Allan Scott. I have a weight which I know both designed and the lampwork made by him.

SophieB

PS: I will email pictures as promised soon.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:37:24 AM »
Peter, I have had the great privilege of viewing and handling these weights earlier in the year, and the collector does exhaustive research on the web,also via her contacts and of course the numerous books on paperweights. She has an "out of the box" attitude to research and can tie together information from numerous sources including old auction catalogues. So it is all out there, just turn over a rock or two. I only wish I had half her energy and commitment ;D
regards Carol
P.S after that trip I looked at my glass collection with new eyes- much was found wanting I can assure you- all it takes is major $$$, so I plan on winning the lottery any day now! :rah:
Carolglass

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:02:37 AM »
There is a lot of additional information on hundreds of the 2,600 CG weights on Scotland's Glass, again through original research by the team putting the catalogue together. It is also correcting the errors in Charlton as well as adding a large number that have never been listed elsewhere. We still have a long way to go in actually getting them all on-line but most of the images are ready.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petern00

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:11:07 AM »
Sophie & Carol.  Thanks for those comments and shared experiences.  I'd suspected the answer wasn't going to be as easy as 'another reference book'.  Of course, the gentle art of thorough research has much to recommend it; one can discover all sorts of fascinating extras that might otherwise never come to awareness.  ... So, we'll begin with Frank Andrew's excellent site and a handful of those catalogues that I've long been meaning to bring back to the top of the pile.  
Cheers. Peter

.. and Frank - whose post has just flashed up - I was just thinking of you ;)
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand