No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian Decanter/Caraffe - ID=Holmegaard  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Scandinavian Decanter/Caraffe - ID=Holmegaard
« on: December 28, 2005, 08:35:08 PM »
I picked this up yesterday, and although it bears a distinct resemblance to my Ole Winther Viking decanter I had on here recently, I don't think it's by Holmegaard but it's probably Scandinavian.

The monogram on the side of the decanter does look terribly familiar, though... for some reason I think it's Swedish, but I can't really pin down why I would think that so I'm probably wrong.  :oops:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Scandinavian Decanter/Caraffe
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 09:26:21 PM »
I seem to recall seeing the monogram/logo (or something very similar) on a paper label once, I'm sure, on a Swedish-made kluk-kluk decanter. It was probably 6-8 months ago on eBay. I might be wrong. But that's where my Swedish hunch comes from.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 09:36:39 PM »
Crowned C - first thought Christinenhütte who have a very similar logo but it is not their style. But what about Royal Copenhagen? Were they not in the pool with Holmegaard at one time? Definitely not Plus, it would be marked with their logo on the bottom.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 10:08:06 PM »
I remember reading somewhere about RC & Holmegaard being joined in some way, and I know they shared a few designers, but that's as much as I do know.  :(

Edit:

According to great-glass.co.uk:

[Holmegaard] merged with Royal Copenhagen 1985. Amalgamated with Boda Nova-Höganäs Keramik, Orrefors Kosta Boda, & Venini to form Royal Scandinavia.

The decanter looks late-1960's/1970's to me, though.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Scandinavian Decanter/Caraffe
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 02:24:59 PM »
Mystery solved...

Decorative Art Yearbook 1966 has this listed as part of the Viking range by Ole Winther for Holmegaard.

Must have been a later addition to it.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 02:41:32 PM »
20th Century Glass by Andy McConnell says this was designed by Ole Winther for a Danish wine company.  The CE is the mark for Cherry Elsinore, a Danish cherry wine.  I must have missed this thread before.  ::)

I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 02:44:55 PM »
Ooh, that's fantastic! Thanks for that information, Max.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand