No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ekenäs Water Set  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Ekenäs Water Set
« on: December 28, 2005, 08:39:23 PM »
Another of my post-Christmas purchases.

I just thought I'd put it up here to aide the cause of identifiable water sets - it's not instantly generic Polish. For once!  :lol:

And also because I know nothing of Ekenäs and its designers or what kind of period this label was used during...

Edit: I've just noticed the tumbler and the pitcher look to be different shades of blue in the photograph - but in reality they are the same.

Connie

Ekenäs Water Set
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 08:50:32 PM »
Nic -

It appears to be the same label that is one my Ekenas perfume that I asked about here:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3608.0.html

If I am correct that John Orwar Lake was the designer, then the label dates from 1953 until 1976 when Ekenas closed.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Ekenäs Water Set
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 09:08:43 PM »
The quality of your piece seems better than mine, though. The rims of all the glasses (I have a full set of 6, but only photographed 1 of them for simplicity) are quite coarse. They're not chipped or fleabitten, just a little uneven to the touch.

Connie

Ekenäs Water Set
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 09:16:06 PM »
My piece is extremely well made and finished.  Maybe they had different lines with different quality/finish depending if it was a "designer" piece  :?

Good luck finding information on your set.  I could find scant info on Ekenas.

Edited to add:   Nic, why don't you try posting your item on the board that Ivo referenced.  I can't post there because my evil IP  :roll:  is blocked and the moderator won't answer my e-mails  :cry:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Ekenäs Water Set
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 10:05:40 PM »
Oh, apparently Michael Bang (of Holmegaard fame) worked for a while at Ekenäs Glasbruk. Apparently it is where he gave up on his ceramics background and decided to focus instead on designing glass. :)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Ekenäs Water Set
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 10:23:43 PM »
Pina says he worked there "briefly during the 1960's".
The other long serving designer was Greta Runeborg-Tell who left sometime in the 50s - no definite date given in Bill's book.
Pete

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Ekenäs Water Set
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 10:35:26 PM »
Lovely buy - fab. colour!  John Orwar Lake was also a designer for Ekenas but not sure of dates.  My son has a signed piece.

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand