No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alison Kinnaird storm lamp  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Alison Kinnaird storm lamp
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »
It's fabulous!  ....would you ever dare use it as a lamp?!   :o :o

Why not, that is what it is. Has to be tried.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »
Why not, that is what it is. Has to be tried.
:o :thud: IMHO opinion, no, it most certainly does NOT 'have' to be tried!  >:D   :24:  Not given all the exquisite work that went into it, never mind what it cost!  :-X ;)

Go and try using something less beautiful (and cheaper) as a lamp, Frank  ;D  :24:
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 11:38:46 AM »
I would not think twice about using it. I am not like one collector of Rolls Royce's (and Monart) who kept one of his Rolls Royce's in his sitting room great believer in using things for which they are made. Makes for a more beautiful life. But I guess a lot of collectors buy Chinese glass for daily use and moan about it diluting their collecting interests.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »
I'm desperate to see what sort of shadows it would cast.
I've tried using a LED torch, but it doesn't *do* what a candle would - the light is directed rather than diffuse.

It is beautifully composed over the surface, images on the far side can be seen through gaps in the near side, it takes my breath away every time I look at it.

(.....one minute interlude while I go and have another gaze.....)

It's busy without being fussy - it is just perfectly complete.
I love it more and more as time passes.
I've written to ask about it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 12:13:31 PM »
 :mrgreen:

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 01:13:34 PM »
great believer in using things for which they are made. Makes for a more beautiful life.
While I absolutely agree with you on one level, Frank, I can't help feeling that some things are just too precious and beautiful to risk using them and causing some injury to them!  Especially things I might never be able to replace  :spls:  Those things I regard as purely ornamental.   Like I would never put flowers in a Sam Herman vase (although I know Sue does  >:D ;) )  I would use a 'cheap' (not necessarily Chinese, although maybe, if it was pretty enough :P ) vase for that, but I wouldn't moan ;)  My tastes are eclectic enough to cope  :pb: :24:

I might be tempted to try a tea-light in it, Sue, just to see the effect (and maybe photograph it?) but I would be too afraid of damaging it to leave it with a lighted candle in it!  :o  

And yes, very  :mrgreen: 
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »
That's sort of what I thought I might do.
I'll have to buy a candle, put the whole lot in my light tent and see if I can get an idea and some photographs of what appears.
I'll have to wait until I stop shaking with awe before it, before I try though.

Yesterday, I tried to fill the kettle without taking the lid off first, I counted out exactly the wrong change to buy a sultana bran scone in the baker's and apologised to my reflection in the mirror for accidentally pushing in front of it in the queue.

And those are just the things I remember.   :spls:

(The Sam Herman I very occassionaly use for flowers is not signed or marked and is already water damaged. It is also a fabulous shape for flowers. >:D and it's pink.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 10:58:33 PM »
Just extraordinary.  :mrgreen: If you don't look carefully (as I didn't until you pointed it out) you'd miss the cleverness in the detail.

I couldn't bring myself to bung a candle in this either, Frank. It seems disrespectful to the artist, given the time, effort and thought put into creating it.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 07:36:54 AM »
It seems disrespectful to the artist, given the time, effort and thought put into creating it.

Equally, it could be disrespectful not to put a candle in it. Why go to such effort on a storm lantern if the candlelight did not play a part in seeing the design to its full glory? Why not use an elegant footed vase?

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »
I completely agree with Frank :hiclp: ,if the item has been made to be used ,be it new or old ,it should be used at least once by its current owner , I use every item that comes to me at least once, and many of my 18thc drinking glasses and goblets are used regularly by myself and trusted guests,no matter what the value of the item , they were all made to be used and to deny the item its original function seems a bit precious to me ,like i said though, with care and consideration for its age and value, i am also sure that a nice drop of Vino tastes much better from a wonderful early goblet.

cheers,

Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand