No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alison Kinnaird storm lamp  (Read 3482 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Alison Kinnaird storm lamp
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »
I'm still in a complete tizz about it.
I wrote to Alison and she has very kindly replied.

She remembers doing the work in her Edinburgh studio, so it was made pre-1976.
It was specifically designed to hold a candle - the shadows cast by it are an integral part of the work of art.

If you have it in front of you and can study it, this is really rather obvious - the composition is perfectly complementary all around.
The more you study it, the more amazing and clever you come to realise it is. I did try a tea-light, but the flame is too low down, and the other lighting conditions were not right to obtain shadows.

But the details of the engraving were shown beautifully lit from behind.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 08:30:55 PM »
I sort of hoped she would say that as light effects have always been integral to her work, look forward to hearing what the result is, one which will be almost impossible to share with us... lucky you.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 03:12:52 PM »
It really wasn't a very successful experiment - I can see things, then try to get the camera between my eyes and the lantern and hope I've got the angle right.
The skull came out fairly spooky - it looks as if some flesh is still stuck to it, yuk!

All the other images were poor, and I was getting scared of doing damage - my jumpers and cardigans kept getting tangled with the velcro in the tent... and I've realised I'm merely the custodian of this major work of art, I have a responsibility to take great care of it.
Alison gave me instructions on how to wash it carefully when it gets all sooted-up.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 08:10:30 PM »
ooooh it's fab!  so you are using it in the evenings now? ;D  I bet it looks at it's best candle lit.  How wonderful.
m

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 11:57:48 PM »
Well Sue,

You mentioned this wonderful lamp in another thread before the weekend ....... and I wondered whether to ask you to go along and buy it on my behalf, but got involved in life, the world and everything (well, the Glass Asssociation AGM), and you went and bought it for yourself :o ;) Good for you I say - a pinnacle piece for your collection I'm thinking. It is better than I expected and I'm quite, quite jealous. A lovely wee beastie :) :) Well done you!

Nigel

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 09:50:23 AM »
The skull came out fairly spooky - it looks as if some flesh is still stuck to it, yuk!

The 'skull' looks like one of those Voodoo shrunken heads to me! :o

I've realised I'm merely the custodian of this major work of art, I have a responsibility to take great care of it.

Beautifully said, and I can't think of a better (or more deserving) custodian!   :kissy:

Hard luck, Nigel!  He who hesitates is lost!   >:D  (Don't worry, we're all as :mrgreen: of this one ;) )
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 01:59:13 PM »
I'm still shaking with the enormity of it all!
It was sitting in a cabinet, badly displayed and badly lit, it's been sitting there for about 3 years. :thud: It has called to me and called to me and I've resisted and resisted - (the price tag was a little more than a month's income). The thought that in that time somebody else could easily have come along and snapped it up gives rise to the same sort of feeling as I'd get if I'd just narrowly escaped death.
Between that, and the emotions and awe the piece evokes, I'm a wreck. :thud:

I promise, when I'm able, I will do my best to get images of all it can do to show you all.
It's just not right not to share it with the world.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand