No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: face sculpture/box  (Read 4947 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: face sculpture/box
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
oh yep, see what you mean Cathy thank you, and thanks too Sue... I'll be off to investigate further on that technique now.
A40ty, I think know what you mean by the boxes slightly misty?- I didn't think it was his as I couldn't match the size either, but I am discovering lots of wonderful glass on this trip to work this one out which is very interesting.
Erik  Hoglund did some glass plates with faces, which I also checked for similarity in design but they are quite different.
Currently mystified....
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 04:39:46 PM »
just resurrecting this topic if no one minds  :sun:
I've been puzzling over the way it was made intermittently and also wondered if anyone had any further thoughts on which country if not the maker please.
All ideas very welcome and thank you.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »
 :hi: Michelle

Heiner Düsterhaus ?

just a thought  :usd:

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »
I have seen something similar, but not quite as interesting, made by Reidel.
I've not forgotten your face, m, how could I? - it's such a happy one! :24:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »
I've emailed H. Düsterhaus  :X:

:sm:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 07:01:32 PM »
Pamela thank you, that's very kind  :sun: He says in his precis that he is often at trade fairs etc, so even if it may not be his, he may have spotted something similar somewhere on his travels.
I'm not entirely sure his work is done in the same way to be honest, but I absolutely LOVE the face bookends!! they are gorgeous and so effective.
Thank you again
Sue  ;) I knew he wouldn't be forgotten.  When you said something similar by Riedel did you mean similar to the box or to Pamela's link artist?  I'm going to have a good look at graal technique information this evening and see if I can work out how whomever made him has so perfectly managed the winking eye and the dimples bubbles.
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »
Looking at most detailed images it looks like the effect is lines of very small bubbles? If there were a series of lines scratched in the hot glass at various angles, perhaps using a pinwheel or just a point dragged along, large bubbles by piercing harder, then the outline with either that faux graal paint or enamels. Once cased again the scratches would give fine lines of bubbles and the indents larger bubbles.

Dusterhaus doesn't appear to use this approach, nor does he do smiling mouths. But nice work anyway - thanks for link Pamela.

Offline CultureVulture

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »
It reminds me of some work Pablo Picasso did on pottery "Little Devil" i think he also painted some glass with a horned person on. Would be nice if it was..If it turns out right remember me in your will :24:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »
Culture Vulture, that would just be perfect  ;D sadly, I think completely unlikely, however the 'tone' of the facial expression is remarkably similar a sort of cheeky expression.
Frank, I have to confess I see the word 'faux' and it makes me nervous  ;D  what is this faux paint? I think with the texture of the face, there are so many lines that either it would have had to have been done with a textile of some sort as Sue suggested or with a wire paint brush or something, in order to get the number of lines and crisscrossing if you see what I mean.  I've looked again at the dimples on his cheeks and I think they were made by dropping lumps of frit/stones onto the glass then cased over which created the bubble on top of the stones (which, I think, I can see under a strong magnifying glass deeper towards the base of the piece).  The eye bubble is just a bubble then with what looks like a drop of blue glass dropped into it and the line of dark glass/ink/faux paint behind it.
So, is it a 'kind of' graal technique then?
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 12:35:30 AM »
The 'faux' graal paint was a poor/lazy mans' approach to achieving graal effect without the hassle of masks and sandblasting. An American development but I find the colours gaudy - it cannot achieve the subtlety of real graal LINK - but it is not a 'bad' thing, just another tool in the glass artists arsenal    Graal has a intermediate cold stage which would give plenty of time to  scratch out a design  with a stylus, I am not sure if bubbles would result if done cold. For large bubbles, not frit but either some vaporisable material or pricking gives those, the latter more likely in this case. Working on a cold blank makes sense, and would explain the way the blue has 'smudged'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand