No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tiny Murano Dish  (Read 8062 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Tiny Murano Dish
« on: October 30, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Here's a little "Made in Murano" mosaic millefiori dish that charmed its way into my paperweight >:D collection recently.  It, along with the miniature early Perthshire paperweight, were found on a trip to the coast earlier this week.  The little dish measures 3-in across; the pw is 1-3/4 inches in diameter.  The little dish has a flat, almost grainy appearance (satin or matte???).  It is quite sheer which I think shows in the photos in natural light.  (Only one photo was taken with the flash.)  Of course, there is only a generic-like label, but I'm hoping someone here will be able to shed some light on this tiny treasure. :sun:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-13584

Keeping my fingers crossed ..... Lily  :X:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Tiny Murano Dish
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 09:27:28 PM »
I'm thinking La Murrhina.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 10:57:22 PM »
Thank you, Ivo, for your direction. :)  If this is the La Murrina (searches led to this spelling), then I am most pleased.  Certainly all the vibrant, beautiful colors are there.  The colored glass in the little dish almost glows. 8)  Would you think this piece to be early in La Murrina's history (1968-74 or so) before the focus appears to become more lighting oriented?  The web site offers wonderful glimpses into some of this company's gorgeous artwork. 

http://www.lamurrina.us/NEW/?a=getp&oid=2

With appreciation .... Lily

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:14:51 AM »
try this one instead:
www.murrina.it/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:52:01 PM »
I agree with Ivo on this one.  I think it is La Murrina also.  At first glance I was thinking Ercole Moretti, the murrines are not as good as Ercole Moretti though.  Ercole tends to have murrines that are the same size throughout the piece (or at least in their plates).  Also Ercole Moretti uses a small murrine (usually clear) with an "M". 

http://www.fossilfly.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=f55ceda4399de511f1735563a1b696ac&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FI&Product_Code=ACP-3-LGR&Category_Code=AccentPlates

La Murrina is Moretti's murrine competitor and does many things similar to Moretti.  La Murrina is not cheap stuff, don't get me wrong. Their murrine items are just a little bit more affordable than Ercole Moretti's.  I personally have a La Murrina necklace made from their murrines so I can personally tell you their quality is very good.

tam bam

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:38:20 PM »
Thank you, Ivo and tb, for your direction(s) :-[ and input.  No matter what, I really like this little decorative dish.  It's bright and cheery to say the least.  Finding and buying it made me feel as I used to when paperweights were new to me and the only thing important was I really liked how they looked!  Artist/Country did not even enter into the equation.  It was a less $$$$ time as well. :D

Do either of you (or anyone) have an idea as to the approximate age of this piece?  I noted in the links provided that both Ercole Moretti and La Murrina both have identifying marks on their pieces.  The dish appears to only have the generic label ... >:(  I purchased it in an antique/vintage store but that may mean absolutely nothing.

Lily :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 07:42:30 AM »
I've seen them on sale new in Rome and that was 5 or 6 years ago - so relatively recent.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:03:36 AM »
Moretti often have a tiny m cane in theirs i had one for a few days before i noticed it . :-[

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
Well, I have intently/intensely searched this little object d'art with only eye strain to show for my efforts.  No 'm' cane to be found.  So, I guess it comes down to being recent La Murrina w/no id mark.  It's still very pretty, even though I know "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".  It shows well and it can sit anywhere! :D  No cabinet needed here!

Thanks again to all ..... Lily  :)

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 12:37:53 AM »
Here is an Ercole Moretti plate:

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/TamiPietras12/008.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/TamiPietras12/011.jpg

Can you find the "M" murrine in the first photo?

Here is a La Murrina pendant:

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/TamiPietras12/012.jpg

It appears as if La Murrina used the same satin finish as the Moretti plates.

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand