No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: blue slag glass mystery item-I.D needed!  (Read 2931 times)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
blue slag glass mystery item-I.D needed!
« on: December 29, 2005, 01:47:49 AM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-660
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-659
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-658

Here is a mystery item I got at a flea market a few years ago & have been stumped by ever since! It is a pressed,blue with maroon streaks slag glass item with a mark underneath which reads ECAS ZENITH in an oval, then below that, BREV. I can't find this mark anywhere- hoping someone out there will know it.

The item looks slightly art deco in design, & is obviously a functional, rather than decorative item. My guess is a bathroom fitting of some kind- a soap holder, or a toilet roll holder. It actually holds a roll of loo paper perfectly- there are 2 holes on either side of it, into which a wooden or plastic spool can be fitted. But why make such a thing from slag glass??

It's very odd indeed! Looking forward to hearing your opinions,

Marinka.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 08:32:07 AM »
the BREV part is for Breveté (patent) in French or for Brevetato (idem) in Italian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 10:19:45 AM »
Ivo,
thanks so much for your clue to the origin of this item! Now I can narrow it down to a French or Italian manufacturer.
How it ended up at a flea market in Sydney, I have no idea!
It is in perfect condition- no chips or cracks, in fact it looks like it has never been used for whatever it's purpose happens to be.
The stall-holder I bought it from had no idea what it was, & even though it is not really the kind of item I'd normally buy, the mystery about it attracted me.
Thanks again,
Marinka.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Connie

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 10:26:03 AM »
Marinka -

Glass bathroom accessories were very popular in the US in the 1920s-30s.  You can find toliet paper holders, wall mounted soap dishes, towel rods of varying lengths etc. made from jadite (jade green glass), transparent pink,  transparent green, etc.

So I think your assessment that the piece is a toliet paper holder is correct.  There were probably matching pieces to the set.

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 12:55:27 PM »
Thanks Connie,
That's really interesting to find out, as I was quite unfamiliar with the idea of there being glass bathroom accessories.
They must be very rare in Australia, as I've never seen them in any houses I've lived in or visited. Or in any other places except for that one time at my local flea market.
Mostly all our bathroom accessories are glazed ceramic or plastic.
In fact, the idea that this item might be a toilet roll holder came to me because in my bathroom there is a plastic (1960s era) wall-recessed holder of a similar shape. It occured to me one day to see if the spool from it would fit my mystery item-& it did!
But still I wasn't convinced-I couldn't believe such a mundane item would be made of such nice glass! Now,I guess it could be!
Thanks again,
Marinka.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Sklounion

Heartofglass
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 10:01:08 PM »
Heartofglass.... see Anne's Glass queries.... re: ECAS Zenith item...

Regards,

Marcus

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Heartofglass
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 10:55:19 AM »
Marcus,
thanks for the i.d help on this piece, I really appreciate it!
Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I've only just got back from holidays (no 'puter & no internet access :( )
I'm excited to know that this is possibly Belgian glass, as I didn't know I had any in my collection.
Thanks again,
Marinka.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand