No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 Murano Bowls and a Question about Cleaning  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
2 Murano Bowls and a Question about Cleaning
« on: November 01, 2010, 04:24:03 PM »
Hi all, hope those that celebrate had a fantastic Halloween!

I was wondering if anyone could help with any information about these two bowls that I believe are probably both Murano Glass.

Also, I found recently a Murano Glass Clown. It has a sticker on the top of it's Hat which I want to preserve but it is disgustingly dirty and needs a thorough cleaning. Usually I submerge my glass in a tub of water with a special glass cleaning agent in it and then rinse under running water but this would obviously be death to any paper label. Does anyone have any tips on how to clean a Clown with all it's inny and outty bits without killing it's label?

Thanks for any advice.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: 2 Murano Bowls and a Question about Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »
I normally use diluted biological washing liquid, it does seem to tackle any organic gunge well.

For your clown, try standing it carefully in a bowl, perhaps putting a facecloth in the bottom to protect it from any bumps and give it a cat-lick type of wash from top to bottom using a soft toothbrush and a solution of biological stuff - maybe even put a plastic bag or cling film over the hat and secure it with a rubber band - not too tightly!

For bits too small to get at with the toothbrush, perhaps a small paintbrush or make-up brush?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »
Crumbled denture cleaner also does a good job - especially at places you can´t reach with brushes or similar.
Put your clown into a container and fill in water until it reaches his neck. Then put in some cleaner, but be aware
that it will possibly form bubbles, which exceed the water line. This method worked wonders on my pulegoso
pieces - especially inside the tiny burst bubbles...  :)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »
Hmmm.

I tried cleaning a Peill & Putzler shleiergraphit piece which had a burst bubble inside by soaking - only the burst bubble led to other bubbles via invisible cracks...... and the fluid penetrated via capillary action.....

I should have left it alone! :cry:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
 :kissy: I had a similar problem with my globe-shaped Wiedmann candleholder. I didn´t realise there´s
a tiny hole between the candle socket and the inside - until I saw the water in there.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:44:16 PM »
About your ashtrays -- yes, they are Murano. My best guess for the one with silver foil is Fratelli Toso. My best guess for the other is Cenedese. I don't know for sure, but these companies did ashtrays that were very similar to yours.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:55:22 PM »
Thank you Anita, They were my best guesses too so it's good to hear someone at least thinks along the same lines :)

I wasn't sure if Cedenese was particular colors or not as the only thing I've seen the name used for was pieces that glow under blacklight (which this doesn't).

Thanks also everyone for the cleaning tips. I think I might start with the toothbrushing idea :)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:33:01 PM »
I wondered about the colors, too. The shade of pink gave a Toso-look to the bowl, but I've never seen any bowls like this with their labels. Sometimes I see this type of bowl attributed to Barbini or Seguso, but I've not seen any of them with their labels, either. I've seen a couple of these type bowls with labels and they have been Cenedese. To keep honest, I'd say "Murano, possibly Cenedese."
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand