No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with new buys  (Read 6126 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Help with new buys
« on: December 29, 2005, 03:07:27 AM »
Hi

Some recent buys

Sommerso faceted vase cased with grey – I think it is ‘rare earth’ and changes colour to lilac? (How do you get that to work again) 8.5” high, weight 1.2k

Has some mildew to inner that I can’t budge any ideas – I get these sometimes and it’s like the milky white is surface etched with acid? What does remove it? I don’t mean vinegar or Cilet Bang. Any ideas on maker, lots of tiny cross hatched marks to base.

vase

Striped Italian vase – dark green stripes overlaid with light green, white stripes, aventurine stripes, 9.5” high, 1.2k weight, fantastically made with hand ground and polished rim. Sticker to base I thought was more interesting till scanner got hold of it., round gold ‘Made in Italy’ Any ideas?

vase
label

Bottle vase with tall neck, 16” high, weight 1.3k. I think may be Italian as it is so well made. Orange colour with copious amounts of silver foil throughout, has an high crafted feel to it with ground and polished base with ground concave pontil

vase

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Help with new buys
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 03:49:05 AM »
Quote from: David 555
I think it is ‘rare earth’ and changes colour to lilac? (How do you get that to work again)

It's all in Peter's thread here Adam. :)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1277.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David555

• Members
Help with new buys
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 03:53:49 AM »
Thanks Anne

Hope you had a good Xmas :D  :D

Neodymium was the name I was looking for, used a lot by Czech factories as well. Thanks that is the thread I needed.
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline chuggy

• Members
Help with new buys
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 09:51:50 AM »
Adam your second vase is very similar to a Dino Martens meza filligrana vase and is really nice. If I get a chance later I'll check the pattern book of his shapes for you. Any chance of a piccy of the label, the most common Made in Italy label used by Aureliano Toso with his work was an almost yellow colour.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline David555

• Members
Help with new buys
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 03:43:03 PM »
Thanks Paul

I knew I forgot something :oops:

Label link now in place above

Adam

Offline chuggy

• Members
Help with new buys
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 03:58:46 PM »
Well the labels the same as on a number of the Aureliano and Toso pieces I've got by Dino Martens so looks promising, I'll get back to you on the shape.
Paul

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Help with new buys
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 09:58:41 PM »
#1 Not Neo or Czech IMHO. Just classic Murano
#2 I leave this one in Chuggy's capable hands
#3 I don't think this is Murano ....
Pete

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Help with new buys
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 10:54:31 PM »
The label for  number 2 says "made in Murano," and does not look like any A. Toso label I've ever seen.  The picture of the vase seems to be gone.

Laura

Offline David555

• Members
Help with new buys
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 11:51:32 PM »
Hi Laura

The label says 'Made in Italy'

I was using 'Image Shack' but have changed server to AOL so you should be able to see the vase now.

Thanks Peter - I was thinking neo as 'why would anyone make a sommerso vase in that dull grey shade', but I forgot I have seen a fair few that are a simple grey with no glow to go as it were (I must buy a UV pen thing). Do you know how to get that mildew out, I mean without taking sandpaper to it LOL.

The last is a strange one, I have pictures (Vetri Di Murano by Bestetti) that show similar shapes with bubbles and foil used by 'Conterie & Cristallerie' c1960. Items were not signed according to book and designed by Antonio Pagan / Poli

But similar or hunch is not enough - it was not expensive and looks fabulous  

The above book has good photos of 'Conterie & Cristallerie' controlled bubble vases by Antonio Pagan - I know there was some talk about these before Xmas so if anyone wants a scan just shout

Adam P

Offline chuggy

• Members
Help with new buys
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 09:00:39 AM »
Hi Laura
Within my Martens Mezza filligrana pieces I've got 4 items with the same label including a swan, and 2 vases identical to some of those in the Hal Meltzar sale catalogue that I bought from you, thats why I am sure it's an Aureliano Toso label.
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand