No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with new buys  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Help with new buys
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 04:34:59 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
Hi

Some recent buys

Sommerso faceted vase cased with grey – I think it is ‘rare earth’ and changes colour to lilac? (How do you get that to work again) 8.5” high, weight 1.2k

Has some mildew to inner that I can’t budge any ideas – I get these sometimes and it’s like the milky white is surface etched with acid? What does remove it? I don’t mean vinegar or Cilet Bang. Any ideas on maker, lots of tiny cross hatched marks to base.

Adam P

Hi Adam.  Have you tried one of those proprietary brands that you can buy in supermarkets specifically for getting rid of mildew/mould in bathrooms?  They come in a spray bottle.  Can't think of the name offhand, but pretty common on shelves.  It works on a variety of surfaces.

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Help with new buys
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 07:19:13 PM »
Hi Paul,

I must be losing my mind - I can't remember the label.  What's wrong with me?  :oops:

I'm going to go back through my A. Toso photos to see if I've shot this label before.  I'll report back what I find.  

Laura

Offline David555

• Members
Help with new buys
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 12:17:08 AM »
Thanks for all the help Paul and Laura

Anne I have tried Caustic Soda and it won't shift, I am sure it is something to do with the water in Scotland LOL

I should shoot some photos and post in the cafe, I have some really scaled bits - glass that is :oops:

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Glassyone

• Members
white stuff in the wrong place
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 06:23:55 AM »
I am on a mission to try to find a solution to the ? limescale deposits in the first few microns of the glass.

Hence contacting http://www.thewaterstaindoctor.co.nz/. and awaiting their reply. I reckon we will all be very happy when someone solves that problem!

Ruth

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Help with new buys
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »
Hello Everyone and Happy New Year!

On the green filigrana piece, I dont think that little yellow Made In Italy label is not just an A. Toso label. I have had it on Seguso pieces, Fratelli Toso, Barovier and even Avem pieces before. I actually have 1 Avem Tutty Frutti holder, 2 Seguso figures, and 1 Barovier piece with the label in my possesion right now. Unless I am mistaken about all, I think this is just an import label. Maybe it was used between a particular date or a particular import company, but its very hard to say. At leat I am without an answer to that.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass  Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Help with new buys
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 10:37:34 AM »
David

I assume you're talking about something different to water 'staining'?  That opaque kind of whitishness that develops sometimes in vases?  There isn't really a cure for that, as the water has actually etched into the surface of the glass.

You could try having the glass tumbled - which isn't always possible or desirable.  You can cover the damage with a silicon based oil and a bendy utensil to apply it to hard to reach places.  Covering it with silicon based oil isn't a proper cure though, just a good disguise.

Perhaps you mean another type of water damage though?   :?  :)
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
Help with new buys
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 03:07:59 PM »
Thanks all and a Happy New Year

Max - it is that
opaque kind of whitishness that develops sometimes in vases
and as you say the water and what ever is in it has etched onto the inner surface of the glass.

How does that happen I wonder - some kind of chemical reaction must take place with the water/flower sap and the glass? I have seen it on some pieces less than a few years old, so it must be quite aggressive.

I am supposing the only solution is a kind of polishing that would work for the small area within the grey faceted vase shown.

Anyone know of a good polishing method or set that does not hack your glass to pieces?

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David555

• Members
Help with new buys
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 12:38:10 AM »
Ref my Mezza filligrana vase being debated (see photo first post)

Thanks Paul you have been so helpful and I think we are on the right track reference attribution of my vase.

Javier, you have a good point reference the yellow label, I bought this dark green and yellow sommerso vase the other day with the same label to the base as my Mezza filligrana vase.

Aureliano Toso did do sommerso, but I can’t find this shape, Seguso and similar companies yes, Aureliano I am less positive about. So I think you are right about it being an import label.

The vase is very subtle and shows age 1950s – 1970s – the label is in good condition in silver and yellow.

I thought I would also add that there were many makers of items using the Mezza filligrana method, here is one: -

Not related to my vase but an interesting example – the company still thrives today http://www.vetrerialafenice.com/index.html and items are quite expensive. I have been told my atomizer is early 1980s

I just wanted to add these two things to the mix without causing any confusion I hope.

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand